Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
lindamar  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 19, 2011 3:15:40 AM(UTC)
lindamar

Groups: Member

Hi,

Here is my conf: buff II + legato2. I have setup both Outputs, balanced and single ended.

I am having higher output, and hence volume, wit the SE output .... Does it sound good for you guys??

Cheers
Pepe

Edited by user Saturday, March 19, 2011 6:09:27 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

regis  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 19, 2011 3:21:18 PM(UTC)
regis

Canada

I have tried both options as well , the SE.and GND. with my RCA output and to my RCA input of my single end T-amp or SE tube amp .Background noise is non existent even if i push the amp to full volume , with no music playing naturally .

The balanced section i use the + and the GND for my RCA output to my RCA single end T-amp or the SE tube amp . The difference here is that it is a balanced output so i don't know if using a SE t-amp is appropriate for balanced output , that being said... with same equipment used for either SE or Balanced the difference is there . , with balanced output of using the + and GND the soundstage opens up and spreads out evenly between the speakers giving a feeling of spaciousness , endless feeling like one does not know where the speakers are anymore . , if you get my drift . but not knowing if it has an effect on due cause to not having a balanced amp , .....what is a balanced amp anyways ....two mono amps ....Think enlighten me anyone . the reason i ask this , is when i use the balanced section i get a huge soundstage effect in comparison to SE output

but but there is background noise if i push the volume up too maximum ... not noticeable much with this 8W t-amp with 16ohm drivers but... if i add a preamp this background noise is increased as i increase the volume to max .....noticeable if listening to a movie with silent passages .

So for the time being i use SE outputs hooked up to just about any amp i'm using .

Question : why is there a + GND and - on the balanced section , and not on the SE output section Whistle .

whew... long post eigh d'oh!
LeonvB  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 19, 2011 3:57:20 PM(UTC)
LeonvB

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Balanced by definition has +, - and ground. It's a 3 wire connection, whereas single ended is a 2 wire connection. Balanced has the signal running through the wire twice: normal and inverted. This offers advantages like less external interference, thus enabling longer interconnects. That's the main reason it was often used in the professional setups.
Nowadays most of the high end DAC chips offer balanced output, it's not that common in normal amps however. Often, only higher end amps offer balanced inputs. That's because balanced inevitably needs more hardware than SE, as there are 2 signals to process.

Regarding your problem: have you checked the phase?
regis  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 20, 2011 9:48:18 AM(UTC)
regis

Canada

Hi Leon
I Wish to thank you for the insight on differences of SE. and balanced amps., The usage of the balanced output connections will be wired with XLR connectors if i ever make a go of getting a balanced amp .

Phasing would be switching from the left to right connections and vise versa !
if so i have fiddled with reversing L/R channels , nothing significant to report from this end .

Note to myself , if a amplifer has XLR inputs there's a chance it's a balanced amplifier .

I have XLR connectors that i will use to eliminate the RCA connectors which are always being switched and become unreliable with time . XLR connectors for connecting L/R and ground .

PS : Thank you for adding your insights and knowledge and help pertaining to the PDF files on assemblies of the Twisted Pear audio components , as i will find it useful when installing the Tridents regulator modules .
NicMac  
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 20, 2011 11:20:41 AM(UTC)
NicMac

regis wrote:
Hi Leon
Note to myself , if a amplifer has XLR inputs there's a chance it's a balanced amplifier .

or have a Bal -> SE converter circuit/transformer on its inputs....
lindamar  
#6 Posted : Sunday, March 20, 2011 12:36:11 PM(UTC)
lindamar

Thank you for the comments and insight.

I have reviewed the balanced output + - and GND connections and they are ok, so no fase problem.

There is still the same problem: output level for balanced is much lower than SE. Is this the way that has to be ??. I get lower volume in balanced than in SE and have no idea whether this is correct or I made a mistake building my Legato.

Any ideas ?. Any help very much appreciated

Best regards,
Pepe
LeonvB  
#7 Posted : Sunday, March 20, 2011 3:17:22 PM(UTC)
LeonvB

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 45 post(s)
A balanced to SE converter in general takes both signals, invertes one side and sums them. So if you're fed 1 and -1V over XLR, your converters SE output would be 2V. If you take half of the balanced signal instead, you're output is 1V. So yes, what you're seeing could be right.

Thanks for the kind words, be sure to get the Tridents when you can. It's a big improvement over the regulated circuits on the BII.
lindamar  
#8 Posted : Monday, March 28, 2011 12:00:20 AM(UTC)
lindamar

Thank you very much LeonVB,

so you are saying that if the Legato outputs 1,6 volts then what I should get at the balanced outputs 0.8v and -0.8v (measured at the + and - terminal), right ?

I would love Russ or Brian to comment on this one, thank you.

best regards
Pepe

Edited by user Wednesday, March 30, 2011 4:45:34 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed