Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ollboll  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 5, 2011 9:51:18 AM(UTC)
Ollboll

Groups: Member

Hello there!

I'm planning to get myself some Joshua Trees but am wondering how best to connect ground.

Since I'm not building the DAC myself I can't simply insert the tree inside the DAC :'(

So the question becomes, what would be the next best solution?

I'm using it balanced and since I through the XLR connector only have hot, cold and chassi ground I wonder primarily if i should connect the ground to chassi with some ground breaker ( say CL60 ) or if I should remove ground reference from the tree ( see picture )

http://img854.imageshack...2schematicgrounding.png/

If I understand correctly no connection to ground is better than connection to ground, and so 'A' would work since they are balanced and don't need the ground reference in this case.

Would 'A' be a good idea and work perfectly or is it better to do 'B' or something else?

Thanks in advance,
Olle

EDIT: additional question:

how long can the cable(s) from the driver board to the relay boards? Would it be a problem to have say 2m long cables there?

If it is possible without problems, one workaround would be to integrate the relay boards into my power amps ( dual mono )... then i could use an existing ground reference too =)

Edited by user Saturday, March 5, 2011 7:58:08 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Russ White  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 5, 2011 8:34:44 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
I would not omit ground connection the XLR, but it need not be chassis ground. On the cct, but you may omit it from the output side of the JT.

There should be no issues with relay drive cables up to several feet.
Ollboll  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 6, 2011 7:02:24 AM(UTC)
Ollboll

Groups: Member

Ah, okay.

But to check if I understand this correctly:

I keep ground connections on board, but do not connect it to chassi ground. That in practice would mean I connect the XLR+ and XLR- to the board and the jumper to connect the two grounds but otherwise ignore the ground connections.

Have I understood correctly?

Thanks for the fast answer btw =)
Olle
Russ White  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 6, 2011 7:12:22 AM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
I would connect the input XLR GND to the JT GND. Then connect the JT as usual for balanced. But if your target is immediately after I would use just the +/- output to the amp (most will be just fine with this, but be sure to check) . But it should not make any difference as long as you are using *only* signal GND. I would not connect chassis GND to the XLR. If you are going to go to an additional XLR on output I would connect the signal GND.

Edited by user Sunday, March 6, 2011 7:12:59 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed