Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bruce Fikkers  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 28, 2011 10:18:28 PM(UTC)
Bruce Fikkers

Groups: Member

Hi,

I've just received my Buff II, Placids and Legato kits Drool

I wish to feed the balanced output of the Legato into my LC Audio Millennium XP amplifier. The input stage of this amp has a DC offset adjustment and I was wondering whether it would be ok given a ~6.5V bias on the Legato output? Note that this amp is DC coupled... Or do I need to retain the Legato output caps? Please refer to the schematic on page 8 here:
End Millennium Amplifier Cookbook

I'd appreciate some guidance on this! Think

thanks and regards,
Bruce
Russ White  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 1, 2011 4:05:33 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
The best I can tell you is it does not look like it would be effected by the common mode DC. But you really might be better off asking the designer.

If you decide to try it, check the amplifier output before connecting it to a real speaker.
Bruce Fikkers  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 1, 2011 10:44:58 PM(UTC)
Bruce Fikkers

Great, I appreciate you looking over it for me. I'll check with Lars and will be sure to measure the dc output before connecting the speaker!

Just to be clear, can you confirm that the Legato has common mode DC on both balanced signals - it is biased +6.5V on both the +ve and -ve balanced signal? (ie NOT -6.5V on the -ve signal)

Also could you please send me the manual for the Legato 2? The website only has the version 1 manual and it has changed quite a bit.

thanks and regards,
Bruce
Erlend Sæterdal  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 2, 2011 3:10:02 AM(UTC)
Erlend Sæterdal

Hi ! I have a XP it is balanced in. If you do not connect the ground to the input of the cable for the Millenium there will be no DC because the DC is related to ground. I have the Opus Dac and I do not use capacitors at the output of the dac because I do not use the Ground into my STA 522 Volumetrafos. Forget about Balance cables its not worth it. Brings absolutely nothing positive to the sound.
Russ White  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 2, 2011 5:17:07 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Bruce Fikkers wrote:
Great, I appreciate you looking over it for me. I'll check with Lars and will be sure to measure the dc output before connecting the speaker!

Just to be clear, can you confirm that the Legato has common mode DC on both balanced signals - it is biased +6.5V on both the +ve and -ve balanced signal? (ie NOT -6.5V on the -ve signal)

Also could you please send me the manual for the Legato 2? The website only has the version 1 manual and it has changed quite a bit.

thanks and regards,
Bruce

Brian is still editing portions of the Legato 2 manual (photos etc). I am sure it will be up soon.

I am not clear on your question. Legato 2 will have no DC at all if you use the ouytput caps. If you omit them it will have about 6.5V DC to GND on both OUT+ and OUT- of both channels. Differentially it will be close to zero (OUT+ to OUT-).

Bruce Fikkers  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 2, 2011 6:43:01 PM(UTC)
Bruce Fikkers

Great, look forward to the manual.

Sorry not to be clear. You have confirmed what I thought in that the Legato (without the coupling capacitors) OUT+ and OUT- both have a positive DC offset with respect to GND.

Thanks!
Bruce

Erlend Sæterdal  
#7 Posted : Saturday, June 18, 2011 3:04:27 PM(UTC)
Erlend Sæterdal

Why not just omit using GND ? Then there will be no DC problem at all. Use only + and -.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed