Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
barrows  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 13, 2010 7:26:40 AM(UTC)
barrows

Groups: Member

Hi Russ,

First, thank you (and Brian) for the great kits. Built the Placid BP last night and it fired right up.
On DIYaudio you mentioned that you like to use the output buffer, but in the user manual you recommend to omit it for loads over 4K. My load will be either 11K or 20K (per phase, balanced). I am curious as to how the perfromance changes without the buffer: just less distortion/noise, or does dynamic perfromance change as well? I am particularly wondering if using the buffer may result in better dynamics.
Russ White  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 13, 2010 2:48:02 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
You won't lose anything not using the buffer. just some extra components in the signal path you won't need in the least. Go without the buffer. You can easily add it back in later.
barrows  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 13, 2010 11:05:23 PM(UTC)
barrows

Thanks Russ. I'll try without the buffer. Wow, just a pair of transistors per phase, so simple and elegant. My BII is still a month out or so. Hope to start hearing reports from others soon on the sonics of the Legato.
jrenkin  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 15, 2010 9:15:38 PM(UTC)
jrenkin

Along the lines of this thread.
I am trying to decide if I should add the output buffer or not. I have a SE preamp with a input impedance listed 13K, a couple of tube amps with I presume pretty large input impedance and a SS amp with SE inputs at 47K and balanced inputs at 2k.
I would like to use the SE output of the Legato board for a tube to mid and tweeter and the balanced to the SS amp for the sub, but will that be an issue if I put the buffers in?
I suppose I could make a line level XO for the the low pass and that would put the input impedance over 4K. If I understand all this correctly.
Thanks for any help!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed