Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Brian Donegan  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 30, 2007 1:17:00 AM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
Well, the US Postal Service has increased their rates again in the past few weeks (more here). The changes are very dramatic for international shipping. While still the best deal in town, there have been significant changes both thr pricing and to the service offerings. As a result, the price differential between local (US) and international is much larger.

I have been using a sort of fuzzy-logic for shipping charges, because the price difference between the majority of international and local endpoints, I just picked a mean for different items and came up with a single shipping charge. Sometimes a bit more then actual, others less, but simple and pretty much worked itself out.

So, what to do. I have two ideas:

- go with actual shipping, using the USPS API to get rates ans services, letting you pick the exact service you want to use (USPS Service - only way I ship). This would involve me both weighing all the kit options and putting them into volume categories (based on which envelope/box they fit in). I can then display what services are possible and let you choose the shipping charge and delivery speed.

- Keep everything the same, and add something like $6 to international orders. This one sounds good to me, but thought I'd ask. It is simpler (my favorite ___er), and keeps the Zen fuzz thing going.

Anyway, I'm playing with a simple shopping cart so you don't have to bounce around back and forth between us and PayPal. For the next few days, the Parts Bin will be co-opted for testing. You can still actually buy stuff with it, at least at the moment. But no need to, rest of the site will be the old stuff.

Edited by user Sunday, June 3, 2007 5:45:20 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed