Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Nakamichi  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 20, 2010 2:57:27 PM(UTC)
Nakamichi

Groups: Member

The overall height of the stacked IVY+Buffalo Combo is 44 mm, when Ivy is the bottom part.
The base standoffs are 12mm, the interboard standoffs are 16mm.
One can easily lower the overall height of the IVYIII / BuffaloII combo to 34mm by:

-Using 5mm base standoffs
-Omitting the plugs of the connectors for the current output, using only the rails.

The tallest parts on the IvyIII are the voltage connector and the electrolytic caps, they are about 12mm.
The voltage connector can be ommitted and the cables from the power supply can be soldered directly to the Ivy/Buff
There are SMD parts on the bottom of the Buffalo II,
but not in the area where the electrolytic caps of the IVY are.

With this mod, 13mm standoffs can be used. (i.e.12mm extended with a spacer/washer)

I have not tested the original height of the AVCC Module, but lowered it as well.
So after the mod there will be 1mm air betwen the Ivy´s caps and the bottom of the Buffalo.
Without the connectors plugs, the connections between Ivy and Buffalo have to be soldered.

The Placid BP has an overall height of 52mm with heatsinks and standoffs.
I guess, it is the same with the Placid.

Without the standoffs and heatsinks, it is 28mm
The electrolytic caps are the tallest partson the Placid, 26mm.
With different heatsinking (for example mounting the power transistors directly on the enclosure),
the height can be reduced to 40mm.
Probably 35 mm with 5mm standoffs and much care taken not to produce shorts Shame on you

Buffalo II has 50.5mm x 84mm, about 14 mm height including the smd parts at the bottom
Ivy III has 50.5 x 110.5mm, height is about 15mm including solder joints at the bottom.
The screw-fitted connectors take a bit more height the bottom but can be shortened.
The Pacid BP has 89 x 76mm, 42 mm height with heatsinks, including the solder joints of the heatsinks at the bottom.

BTW, to me, the built quality of the boards is superb. Verx thick copper, I have to heat my 1mm solder tip to 400 degrees celsius when soldering parts connected to the ground.

Edited by user Thursday, August 26, 2010 2:02:27 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed