Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
lindamar  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 15, 2010 8:26:40 AM(UTC)
lindamar

Groups: Member

Hi guys,

I am a little bit frustrated getting to work my BuffII Trident combo. It would be great if you could give a hand figuring out why is not working:

.) ferrite beds (L6,L7,L8) unsoldered and uninstalled
.) R4 resistors installed on Tridents
.) 2x Trident 3.3 volts regs installed on each side of the buffalo board, as seen in the pics provided at the Trident webpage here in this website
.) 1x Trident 1,3 volts regs installed in the center of the buffalo board, close the clock, as seen in the pics at the Trident webpage
.) 1 Placid monopolar feeding the Buffalo, I had to change R6 to 5R in order to get more than 450 miliamps. Now it is setup to provide 700 miliamps @ 5,5V, so lots of space availabe

I connect everything, switch on my box and ..... everything lights, as it should, but there is no lock !. The mute led on the buffalo is ON and does not change whenever I start playing music, so I get no sound.

To test the setup I went back to the initial point, desoldering Tridents and installing the ferrite beds and I get music again. What do you recommend me to check and make sure everything is allright ?. I already tested with my multimeter that the Tridents were providing 3,3 and 1,2 volts while installed in the Buffalo.

By the way, I got the Legato 2.0 to work with 2.0V output and sounds gorgeous !! (thank Russ & Barrows for helping me there)

Cheers
Pepe

Edited by user Wednesday, December 15, 2010 8:59:12 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

glt  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 15, 2010 10:26:58 AM(UTC)
glt

The clock needs 3.3v

Here is a higher res pic of BuffaloII: http://4.bp.blogspot.com...w/s1600-h/DSC_0387-1.JPG

Look at the regulators: 176333 is 3.3v; 1763 is 1.2v

Edited by user Wednesday, December 15, 2010 11:10:45 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Audiblesoundwave  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 15, 2010 10:44:25 AM(UTC)
Audiblesoundwave

United States

I think you had L6 and L8 flipped!

L6 which on the edge of 'OUT_L' Buf II board needs the 1.2v Trident. The others need the 3.3v.

Hope this helps,
Milton
Russ White  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 15, 2010 12:23:41 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Yes you had a 3.3V supply where the 1.2V supply should be.
lindamar  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 15, 2010 3:39:46 PM(UTC)
lindamar

glt, Milton and Russ .... thank you very much for your help, you all were absolutely right.

The instructions you provided, and the picture showing the numbered regulators, helped me you put everything in place: the 3.3v Tridents on the 176333 regulators and the 1.2v on the 1763.

Now the Buffalo locks the signal perfectly and my "Gonzalo Rubalcaba"´s CDs never sounded better , it is pure, liquid, absolute joy. You are gonna love the Lagato 2, which I had to mod as well to output 2v .... it sings so gorgeous that I have no words to describe it. Heres is a pic of the beast glowing :

UserPostedImage

I have to thank you Russ (and Brian as well) for doing such an incredible job making the Buffalo project a reality. You guys really rock, please keep up working on it.

Cheers,
Pepe

Edited by user Wednesday, December 15, 2010 3:40:17 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

barrows  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 15, 2010 4:04:53 PM(UTC)
barrows

Pepe, Nice! and gorgeous photo by the way. I am curious, I thought blue leds have too much voltage drop for the lock/mute indicators on the B-II, do have some special blue leds that are 2.4 Vf, or will the normal 3.9 Vf blue leds work?
Russ White  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 15, 2010 4:12:48 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
There are some blue LEDs that have fairly low Vf. But you are right most will not work here.

Very nice project Pepe!!

I am very pleased that you are enjoying it.
lindamar  
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 16, 2010 1:00:33 AM(UTC)
lindamar

barrows wrote:
Pepe, Nice! and gorgeous photo by the way. I am curious, I thought blue leds have too much voltage drop for the lock/mute indicators on the B-II, do have some special blue leds that are 2.4 Vf, or will the normal 3.9 Vf blue leds work?

Thanks Barrows !!

Nothing special abut the diodes, I just happened to buy a bunch of them in my favorite electronic components store where I live. It seems that these transparent blue light diodes glow with 2.7volts, which is what I can measure with my multimeter right now when the diode is ON. If you are interested, I can ask for the manufacturer name at the store .....

cheers
Pepe
benzene  
#9 Posted : Saturday, February 19, 2011 8:16:17 AM(UTC)
benzene

Hi:
I want to install the Trident regs but would like to confirm the orientation before i proceed.
Is it correct to follow the orientation of the Trident regs according to the pictures shown above (posted by and lindamar) as well as shown in the TP Trident page?
Thanks.
avr300  
#10 Posted : Saturday, February 19, 2011 10:11:35 AM(UTC)
avr300

Denmark

Was thanked: 70 time(s) in 69 post(s)
Surely.
benzene  
#11 Posted : Saturday, February 19, 2011 11:25:19 PM(UTC)
benzene

avr300:
Thanks for your reply! :)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed