Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
mszebeni  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2010 3:39:38 PM(UTC)
mszebeni

Groups: Member

Yo, finally the Buff II is alive!

Supporting electronics (PS and I/V) were designed and created by a friend, a local guru – I hadn’t yet have a chance to compare it with TP stuff.
The case is my first ever assembly - well, second actually, but the first was a good 15 years ago. It was fun and a challenge, but I know that next time I go for a prefabricated one. It is made of 10 mm thick aluminum sheets, cut, drilled, tortured, sand blasted from the outside and oxidized to last a bit longer. I spent many hours with all the steps of design, discussion, taking it from place to place, purchasing bits and pieces until finally it is now assembled and working.

Here is a pic (if I can insert it) of the case. Unfortunately the 2 component adhesive (reinforcing the side to base connection) didn’t behave according to my wishes but was - rather disappointingly - following the laws of fluid mechanics and came out at the sides. It was a pain trying to remove it – but the case is so solid now that it would probably outlast some rougher times.
Than again, we have a saying that a man builds the first house for the enemies, second for a friend and only the third one for himself…

And of course, for the sound. I must say it is a veeery good DAC, thanks for Russ, Brian and ESS for the excellent work!
I have to be absolutely honest; I had higher expectations for hires stuff. Pls note that I’m not talking about the DAC, it is, no doubt, the best that I had so far.
I was overly excited about hires material and managed to get hold of some; grabbed to my PC. I’m using an M2Tech Hiface UCB/SPDIF and was very keen on feeding the Buff II with higher than 16/44 resolution material. I did lay hands on some 24/96 and even 24/192 resolution music (NOT vinyl rip) and I was expecting musicians knocking on the door with their instrument in their hands and occupying the room when I press the “play” button.
And so I did. My first euphoric reaction was that “Yessss, it’s working” and then came the disenchantment; the performance didn’t blow my hair off. Most of my hair is already gone anyways, but somehow from more than 3 times the data (compared to CD) I have expected at least 2 times the music – whatever the measurement of 2 times the music may be.
Of course, I’m not the beholder of the ultimate music reproduction system but some other component changes (interconnect for example) was clearly more plausible even with the puny little active monitors I have beside my workstation.
So I was going through the hires material humming and occasional nodding. It is definitely beating the good old red book standard, but to me it isn’t night and day. Next, I started to play the usual tracks I know quite well (CD rip) and the smile came back. Yeah, the day is saved, my CD collection does sound the best that I have heard so far!
I prefer speakers to headphones but will get a good can to check back again on the hires vs red book debate.
All in all, I’m a happy man again with a keeper DAC and I think I’m settled with my system for a while. Thanks Folks!

Edited by user Thursday, October 14, 2010 3:40:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

mszebeni attached the following image(s):
BuffII_1.jpg (86kb) downloaded 817 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Brian Donegan  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2010 4:27:03 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
Quote:
Than again, we have a saying that a man builds the first house for the enemies, second for a friend and only the third one for himself…

I love this
Rss Feed  Atom Feed