Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
jackietang  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 25, 2010 2:13:28 AM(UTC)
jackietang

Groups: Member

Dear Russ,

Most likely, the Sympatico with Volumite is connected direct to an I/V output or CD player.

I'm considering to buy the Sympatico. But, can I add a preamp in between because I got other analog sources to select? Does it work fine? Does the gain of Sympatico need to be reduced?

Beisdes, when will the Ventus be in stock again?

Thanks a lot.
Dingo  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 25, 2010 3:08:39 AM(UTC)
Dingo

There isn't any way to use the volumite directly with the Sympatico. The volumite is a micro-controller based volume control for use with TPA dacs and the JT attenuator (or other similar digital applications provided you can write the firmware)

The sympatico is a power amp module, plain and simple. You'll need a variable level input signal feeding it.
So yes, it will work perfectly fine with a seperate pre-amp.
The gain setting should be no issue. With line-level sources, pre-amps aren't about gain anyway.

Edited by user Wednesday, August 25, 2010 3:09:23 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

jackietang  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 26, 2010 1:32:38 AM(UTC)
jackietang

Thanks a lot, Dingo.

Sorry, the Volumite I said means attenuator (I should include the JT).

I'm looking for a true balanced bridged amp/chipamp. I think this kind of configuration has good noise rejection and the speaker output is lifted from the ground. That's why I'm here.

I'm a computer programmer knowing not much about electronics. Please help me out.

When I look at the schematic, I'm not sure whether the THS4131 has a x12 (1+22K/2K) gain. And, I think LME49720 is used for input impedance with x2 (1+2x1K/2K) gain.

From the datasheet of LM4780, Sympatico has been configured as a x11 (1+10K/1K) gain per channel in bridge mode. Ideally, with CD Player 2V input and 8ohm load, the output power is already 60W ((2Vx11)^2)/8ohm.

If THS4131 has a x12 gain, is it acting like a x10 line stage (preamp)?. If yes, I may not use my preamp any longer because the output may clip.

Do I have any misunderstanding to the circuit? As a diyer, we should learn something when building the kit.

Thanks, Dingo.
jackietang  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 26, 2010 1:55:28 AM(UTC)
jackietang

Dear Dingo,

After seating on a stool having some shit dropping off from my brain.

I was wrong.

The 22K of THS4131 is feeded from the speaker output, which is >20V, not from the output of THS4131 itself. I think the gain of THS4131 is x1 (x12-x11) which is unity.

So, what does THS4131 use for? A buffer? A gain monitor? Or, A clip preventor?

Thanks, Dingo.
Dingo  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 26, 2010 6:53:14 AM(UTC)
Dingo

jackietang,

For one, I've never had a good look at the Sympatico until today lol, but i should be able to help you a bit ;)
You're pretty close with your maths, but also a bit off. So for the sake of educational purposes i shall try to explain.

For one, when you're looking at the gain stages in series with one another, you don't add/subtract, you should multiply. So when you subtracted 11 from 12, this wasn't right. d'oh! You're probably getting confused with when you're expressing gains in dB, which because it is a logarithmic scale, you "add" in order to multiply. So consider a hypothetical x2(+6dB) gain stage followed by a x4(+12dB) gain stage. The overall gain is x8(+18dB).

If you look at the nested feedback loop, It is comprised as an inverting stage, followed by a non-inverting stage. Overall this will count as an inverting stage. A -ve gain x +ve gain = -ve gain. For an inverting stage the gain is calculated as Rf / Rs only, you don't add the +1 like you would for a non-inverting amp. So this sets the overall gain at (-)x11. You were right about the gain of the LM4780 being x11, and this leaves the THS4131 as a (-)unity stage.

As for the input Stage, with R10 omitted, it will just be a unity buffer for each +/- input, but with R10 in there you'll have a gain of x2 taking the overall amp gain up to x22. You would certainly want R10 there if using a SE input, to setup the differential input to the next stage.

As for why the THS4131 is there? Well i can't really give Russ' reason for his design now can I...
But if you didn't have it there, it wouldn't be a differential amp, but 2 completely seperate amps, one for each half of the balanced signal. So would end up looking just like a bridged amp, instead of a "real" balanced amp. Having the amplifier as a differential amp will give better CMRR and even harmonic distortion cancellation than would otherwise only be occurring across the speaker load itself(if the amp was merely bridged).
jackietang  
#6 Posted : Friday, August 27, 2010 4:10:49 AM(UTC)
jackietang

Dear Dingo,

Salute! Thank you very much, Dingo.

The THS4131 seems to be a buffer to fixed up everything before the signal goes into the amplifying stage. That's why, after surfing thoroughly, I can't find anyone feeding a balanced signal directly into LM4780 in bridged mode. I think it can, but no good.

Instead, I found Decibel Dungeen encouraged to use a buffer because the sound seems to be more solid and soundstage.
Decibel Dungeen

So, R10 is for switching between SE and balanced input. Omit it for balanced input (+-2V in, x11, +-22V out). Add it for SE input (+-1V in, x22, +-22V out).

Once again, thank you for your detail explanation.
Russ White  
#7 Posted : Friday, August 27, 2010 9:59:34 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Let me clarify a few things...

the OPA1632(or THS4131) is not a buffer. It is the amplifier. :) The LM4780 is in fact the buffer, but one with gain. The only reason to give it it gain it to keep it operating it its stable region. The dual opamp in front of the OPA1632 simply serves as a instrumentation amp to increase the input impedance. this happened to be a convenient place to add a little gain for people who may use the Sympatico single ended.

The gain of the Front end and then the OPA1632 set the gain of the entire system. You can ignore the gain of the LM4780.
jackietang  
#8 Posted : Saturday, August 28, 2010 1:54:09 AM(UTC)
jackietang

Thanks, Russ.

Oh, yes, from the datasheet of LM4780, to make it work stable, at least x10 gain must be set.

It seems the OPA1632 and LM4780 being combined into one big opamp.

Does Sympatico come with OPA1632 now? Does it sounds better than THS4131?
Does Sympatico come with thermal insulator also? I cannot find an appropiate one on the web. Or, I have to buy a sheet. Please suggest.

When will Ventus be back?

Thanks Russ. Thanks Dingo.
Brian Donegan  
#9 Posted : Saturday, August 28, 2010 6:25:46 AM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
Quote:
Does Sympatico come with OPA1632 now? Does it sounds better than THS4131?

Some say they are the same chip, but they have very different costs, and I think the OPA sounds better.

Quote:
Does Sympatico come with thermal insulator also?

Yes, I ship Bergquist K10 thermal pad with thee amps.

Quote:
When will Ventus be back?

Soon. It is undergoing a tweak/redesign.
jackietang  
#10 Posted : Saturday, August 28, 2010 11:22:22 PM(UTC)
jackietang

Thanks a lot, Brian.
hkminn  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, September 1, 2010 8:11:46 PM(UTC)
hkminn

Dingo wrote:
jackietang,

You would certainly want R10 there if using a SE input, to setup the differential input to the next stage.

Hi Russ,

Is R10 necessary for SE input? I thought R10 was just to control the gain.
Russ White  
#12 Posted : Thursday, September 2, 2010 3:36:21 AM(UTC)
Russ White

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
R10 is optional in either case, you will just have lower gain. You can try it without it, if you don't have enough gain, add the resistor.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed