Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Keyoke  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2010 2:27:53 PM(UTC)
Keyoke

Groups: Member

I just built a JT 2 board, and had a couple of questions;

1. I notice that when the board powers up and if the volumite pot is turned up to 'max' volume, that there's about 1-2 seconds of clicks from the relays. Is that normal? They seem to go nuts. If the pot is turned down to min volume, there's no issue.

2. Is the code used for the volumite available anywhere? I've been playing with QTouch libraries on an ATMega 128 I had from an old Arduino core, and I have visions of touch sensor volume control and input selection... I tapped into the I2C bus and scanned the code commands from the Volumite, but I figure there's no sense in re-creating the wheel unless I have to. I haven't worked with I2C before either, so a known working bit of code would be a great help.

I'd also like to see if there's a way to either use an I2C EEProm or the on board memory on the 85 or 128 to store the current volume and insert a "ramp up to last known volume" function.

Russ White  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2010 3:03:04 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Ramping up to the current volume is exactly what it is doing on start up. :)
Russ White  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2010 3:53:52 PM(UTC)
Russ White

I don't make the code public because I use a special algorithm for setting the relays in a way the minimizes switch noise on the signal. Its actually fairly simple code. But nobody does it like I do, and I would like to keep it that way. :)
Keyoke  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2010 9:08:43 PM(UTC)
Keyoke

Groups: Member

Russ White wrote:
Ramping up to the current volume is exactly what it is doing on start up. :)

Huh. I thought it might be doing that as was typing that out, and I think I put 1 and 1 together about 5 minutes or so after I posted. Prior to my post, I had the JT hooked up to an older LM3875 "Gainclone" amp. The darn thing was powered from a overly large trafo and a snub'd PS. I only got to listen to it for a few seconds, as I got about half-way up the dial and blew the little 4" radio shack speaker I was using to test everything out.

After the post, and I put 1 and 1 together on the whole volume 'ramp up', I hooked it up to a pair of Dayton RS12 5" woofs, and wouldn't you know? on power up the darn thing ramp'd it's volume right up. (I still overdrove the darn amp and managed to 'clip' the chip about 3/4" of the way up the dial). I'm going to have to think about that one for a minute. I think if I drop the trafo down a few notches (dual 18V perhaps, the one I'm using is dual 30V's.. as I said, it's a bit large!)

Russ White wrote:
I don't make the code public because I use a special algorithm for setting the relays in a way the minimizes switch noise on the signal. Its actually fairly simple code. But nobody does it like I do, and I would like to keep it that way. :)

Bummer. Understandable though. I picked up 5 of the 23008's (it seemed silly to just get 1), and I've been playing with it and a handful of LEDs. Seems pretty straight forward. I'll go back to sniffing the bus to see if I can't find the order those relays are turned on in. :) I think I got most of it figured out already. I got so engrossed in messing around with I2C, QTouch and the rest that I wound up calling "in sick" for the day so I could play.. er, learn! :)

Damn addictions... :)
Russ White  
#5 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2010 9:54:13 PM(UTC)
Russ White

You actually need to reduce your gain.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed