Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
PressPlay  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 8, 2009 8:04:48 AM(UTC)
PressPlay

Groups: Member

I've just noticed that ESS are about to 'or already have released' their new ES9022 DAC with integrated 2v output.
They state in the accompanying sales blurb that 'this is the best sounding ESS SABRE DAC to date!'
(I bet you can guess what question I'm gonna ask next Anxious ) Do Twisted Pear have any future plans for this new top of the line DAC? I realize that there isn't much scope for fun - from a designers point of view but perhaps it would be cheaper to implement and therefor even more affordable seeing that there's no longer an I/V stage required?

With this new DAC it seems that a small footprint would be possible as there would only be a single Placid style power supply + transformer - a small DAC board - MUX + Volumite requiring a bijou and therefor cheaper chassis.

I am aware that the Buffalo32 has only recently been released but the good stuff just keeps on coming from those chaps at ESS so I was just curious to know if you've even considered making this available as one of your excellent kits.

My apologies if I'm in any way jumping the gun here.

Brian Donegan  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 8, 2009 8:12:04 AM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
The ES9022 is not the new top-of-the-line DAC for ESS. That position is still held by the ES9018.

The ES9022 is a lower cost 24-bit DAC for consumer electronic devices where low part count and easy of implementation is desired.

At the moment we have no plans to use it.
PressPlay  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 8, 2009 8:25:37 AM(UTC)
PressPlay

Groups: Member

Ah thanks for clearing that up Brian, so the "highest performance of its class" still won't be as good as the Buffalo32 - that's good to know.
I wonder if this integrated I/V will filter up or down into other SABRE's in the range, seems like a neat idea if it doesn't harm the sound quality.

Then again even if they did release a ES9018 with integrated I/V it would probably be strictly for consumer devices anyway I guess.

Cheers
Rss Feed  Atom Feed