Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
wobbly  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 11, 2009 4:16:38 PM(UTC)
wobbly

Groups: Member

Just so I can make an informed descision re upgrading a couple of questions guys.
To replicate my current setup of Buffalo 24 driving Ivy using both ballanced and SE out if I were to go Counterpoint/Ballsie - then.
1 - I would need two Counterpoints to run the ballanced amps and a Ballsie tagged onto the outputs to drive the SE plate amps ?
2 - Ideally I would then need another bipolar supply for the Ballsie or can this be powered off the Counterpoint supply ?
3 - Running this way I have no issues with thumps.?
Russ White  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 11, 2009 6:26:40 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Hi Wobbly,

1) Yes.
2) I would use just one supply.
3) I can't say for sure, I have not tried it, but I think you probably would not. That said we may have a better option for you soon. Look for something in the next few weeks.
wobbly  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 11, 2009 6:38:22 PM(UTC)
wobbly

Thanks Russ,I cant help but ask - the IVY is a ballanced I/V with SE converters tagged onto the outputs.
If the Counterpoint is technically/aurally superior to the IVY would this not have been the preferred I/V,with a SE stage tagged on the outputs, for the Buffalo 32 - thumps notwithstanding.

But then we have IVY2 as well in the mix - and the question here is - can or will it be possible to convert the original IVY to IVY2 with component changes or is it a vastly different circuit config.
Russ White  
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 11, 2009 6:43:18 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Buffalo32S and IVY II use a novel technique that totally eliminates the "need" for a BAL/SE converter. :) It a completely new beast.

That said, we have a cool little cct that people can use if they want extra SE headroom. But its not released just yet.
Shaman  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 12, 2009 5:44:01 AM(UTC)
Shaman

wobbly wrote:
If the Counterpoint is technically/aurally superior to the IVY would this not have been the preferred I/V,with a SE stage tagged on the outputs, for the Buffalo 32 - thumps notwithstanding.

I was wondering the same thing. Angel
Russ White  
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 12, 2009 9:52:43 AM(UTC)
Russ White

I certainly don't think and have never said that Counterpoint is superior to IVY I or IVY II. :)

Also, Take off the feedback caps(C1 and C2) on the original IVY an you will improve it. This is something I only proved to myself lately.

The bottom line is, the OPA1632/THS4131 etc do not like a capacitive load at all, and it quickly makes THD climb.

IVY II does not use any FB caps in the I/V stage, just a passive low order filter.

Cheers!
Russ
Shaman  
#7 Posted : Sunday, April 12, 2009 10:15:54 AM(UTC)
Shaman

Russ White wrote:
I certainly don't think and have never said that Counterpoint is superior to IVY I or IVY II. :)

Also, Take off the feedback caps(C1 and C2) on the original IVY an you will improve it. This is something I only proved to myself lately.

The bottom line is, the OPA1632/THS4131 etc do not like a capacitive load at all, and it quickly makes THD climb.

IVY II does not use any FB caps in the I/V stage, just a passive low order filter.

Cheers!
Russ

Thanks for the input!
Btw Russ, how does the OPA1632 compare to the LM4562? :)

Edited by user Sunday, April 12, 2009 10:20:41 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed