Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

4 Pages123>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
krgaunt  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 5, 2009 9:29:52 PM(UTC)
krgaunt

Groups: Member

I'm having problems getting both of my CounterPoint boards working, and I'm a bit confused on how to connect RG1/RG2 to GND. Brick wall By not connecting either side of RG1/RG2 to ground I get a 2.56Mhz oscillation on both borads.

One side of RG1/RG2 goes to the In- and In+ respectively. Connecting that to ground stops the oscillation, but of course that grounds the input signal. Connecting the other side of the resistor to ground seems wrong also.

I guess I should move the side of the resistor that goes to the input to ground and then jumper the input pins to the non-grounded side of the resistor. Ex. move pin 1 of RG1 to Gnd, and connect In- to pin 2 of RG1.

Yes, No?

RossG
krgaunt  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 6, 2009 11:02:58 AM(UTC)
krgaunt

Okay, so I did connected up the resistors like I said above, Basically connected RG1/RG2 between In-/In+ and ground, making a 221R input impedance of the input. It worked, kinda. The 2.5 MHz oscillation stopped and I got audio out from the Buffalo through to the CounterPoint outputs, but the restors overloaded the power supply. It sagged to 13 volts and produced a large 120 Hz hum on the +/- 15V rails as well as putting a hum on the analog output. Both CounterPoint board behave the same. I checked every component on the boards to be sure I installed everything correctly on both boards, and I don't see any assembly problems. So I'm stumped on how to fix this.

RossG
Russ White  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 6, 2009 11:40:35 AM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Hi Ross. Sorry I missed this post.
RG1 and RG2 should be connected as follows. One leg goes in the pad which is connected to output. The other leg is connected to GND.

Originally I intended to do the symmetrical feedback (thus the dual pads for that leg) but found that the compensation required made it not sound great to me.

Cheers!
Russ
NicMac  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 6, 2009 1:42:47 PM(UTC)
NicMac

Did the same thing here! Dumb enough to follow the silkscreen without thinking and leaving the GND1 and GND2 holes empty!
In the end, after having triple-checked everything I actually arrived at the conclusion that my LCBPS was sick! Voltage from 15V down to 12V.....
Funny thing is that the supply take one CP module fine without any voltage drop so in testing it looks fine..... When two are connected it goes down....
I hope an ordinary resistor will do for RG1 and RG2 as the legs have become to short.

Nic

Russ White  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 6, 2009 2:03:42 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Sure any decent metal film should work fine. :)
NicMac  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 6, 2009 2:47:00 PM(UTC)
NicMac

Russ White wrote:
Hi Ross. Sorry I missed this post.
RG1 and RG2 should be connected as follows. One leg goes in the pad which is connected to output. The other leg is connected to GND.
Russ

Hmm.... did not really solve anything...
I got it wrong a second time !!! Connected one leg to GN1 and on leg to the wrong hole of RG1 (which is connected to IN-).
When you mean connected to output you mean connected to output via the relay?
Well, its the only way I did not try yet....

Maybe a very short manual would be in place for us dummies that matches shapes of components with the shapes on the silkscreen....
Russ White  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 6, 2009 3:03:56 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Hope this helps. :)
Russ White attached the following image(s):
small2.JPG (128kb) downloaded 782 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
NicMac  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 6, 2009 3:52:03 PM(UTC)
NicMac

Well. It certainly helps putting in the resistors in the right place the first time (where also mine are now - finally).
Unfortunately, the 2 CP boards still pull more current than my LCBPS can supply. Voltage drops from 15V to about 12.5-13V when two boards are connected, the 3W resistors on the PSU gets very hot, but not the regulators. On the CP I have LEDs coming (D3 and D4 slightly dimmer than D1 and D2 on one of the boards) on and relays shifting when powered up. Sound is terrible (only hum from one board and weak thinnish "music" from the other (SE).
What can this current have damaged?
Russ White  
#9 Posted : Monday, April 6, 2009 4:19:38 PM(UTC)
Russ White

The current draw from each side of each CP should be about 105ma or so.

You may need to adjust the 3W R down a bit in the CRC of the LCBPS.

Try shorting that R with a piece of wire. See if that helps you maintain 15V.

NicMac  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, April 7, 2009 12:26:13 AM(UTC)
NicMac

Thanks Russ, I will first try to test left and right modules separately and if it works I will use two LCBPS.
[OT] I'm new to balanced audio and I was wondering where output DC offset is measured. Between Out+ and Out- I guess? What am I to expect on the CP?
Nic
Russ White  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, April 7, 2009 4:51:49 AM(UTC)
Russ White

Yes measure offset from out+ to out-. It should not be more than 1-2mV.
NicMac  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, April 7, 2009 3:12:12 PM(UTC)
NicMac

From Diyaudio Buffalo thread:

You both could try increasing the size of the some of the compensation caps.
Also try reducing your rails.
Cheers!
Russ

Russ, could you be please be a little more specific. Which compensation caps? Reducing which rails?
Thanks,
Nic
Russ White  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, April 7, 2009 3:38:43 PM(UTC)
Russ White

CC5 and CC4. I would try 100pf anything up to 1nf should work ok.

The power supply rails. :) I would reduce to +/-11V until you get it stable, then move it up.

Also make sure that there is only one GND wire going from the VA power supply on the DAC to the LCBPS. Don't use the GNDs from the DAC output in this case.

Cheers!
Russ
NicMac  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, April 8, 2009 2:24:57 AM(UTC)
NicMac

Thanks Russ, I will try what you suggested. Great service as usual.
Nic
krgaunt  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, April 8, 2009 10:07:10 AM(UTC)
krgaunt

So last night I rewired all the grounds on my chassis to be a tree structure. Each ground on the power supplies and each board have a separate wire connecting back at the same point which is the ground of the +6 supply on the LCDPS. There are no board to board ground connections as before. All input/output connectors on the chassis make no electrical contact with the chassis. I think I've eliminated any ground loop problems.

I reduced the rails of the CP to +/-12V, put in a 510Pf caps (the only caps in the suggested range that I had on hand) for CC4 & CC5. The CP board now oscillates at 3 MHz, more than before. When I disconnect the input connections from the Buffalo the oscillation stops. To be specific, with nothing connected to the input or output terminals of the CP it oscillates when power is applied but stops when the relay switches. When I add in the connections to the Buffalo, with no signal going into the Buffalo, the CP oscillates.

While the Buffalo was disconnected from the CP I measured the output terminals of the Buffalo at 1.7 volts each. All terminals are at the same voltage, so I assume the opamp in the CP will reject the common DC offset.

So with the Buffalo connected to the CP board, I've been able to stop the oscillation by placing my fingers across C7 & C8 (which stops the oscillations on the Out- side) and across C6 & C2 (which stops the oscillations on the Out+ side). I must have my fingers across all the caps at the same time and resting my wrist on the chassis to stop the oscillation. I guess I'm putting in a high impedance to ground on the capacitor cases. But somehow I don't find this to be a reasonable solution to stop the oscillation. Maybe I can train my wife to do that whenever I play the stereo.

Russ, would reducing the feedback on the CP help solve this problem without increasing the distortion very much?
Back in the mid 70's I was building a discrete component differential power amp (the Tiger 0.01) and it took some tweeking of the feedback resistors to stop it from oscillating also. So I know these circuits are a bit tempermental.

RossG

RossG
Russ White  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, April 8, 2009 11:51:38 AM(UTC)
Russ White

Hmm something must be amiss.... As mine is not oscillating at all under those conditions... I will do some checking.
Mark Wheeler  
#17 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2009 4:27:43 AM(UTC)
Mark Wheeler

Ross

May not be much of a comfort, but my CP boards have been running in my system for a couple of weeks now. First I followed the silk screen for RG1/2. CPs worked from first start up. Sounded really good.

I am using the outputs balanced into Hypex amps with no pre amp. I had a little discernible hum.

Last night I finally got around to moving one end of RG1 & RG2 to the ground pad. Hum now almost inaudible even with ear pressed to speaker.

My earthing scheme is a bit messy (shall tidy that when I re-case the whole DAC soon) but I have to say that now the Buffalo/CP sounds truly fantastic.

I can only think there is something else at play with your set up to give you this oscillation issue.

Keep with it though, I think you'll get it sorted and the results will be worth it.

Mark
NicMac  
#18 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2009 6:41:45 AM(UTC)
NicMac

Mark,

What about a review on TNT-audio? From you the words: "truly fantastic", seems to warrant this! Maybe Russ and Brian can provide a Buffalo32S for comparison?
I have a suspicion that at least some of my problems with the Buffalo/CP combo may be related to the fact that I'm using it with a SE amp (even if TPA are very clear about the CP being for balanced only at the moment). I'm putting together a Hypex rig over Easter so I should know soon.

Cheers,

Nic

Edited by user Thursday, April 9, 2009 6:53:13 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mark Wheeler  
#19 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2009 8:29:55 AM(UTC)
Mark Wheeler

Nic

I rarely visit TNT-Audio and have never posted there. The more I see the responses one tends to get to "subjective reviews" on forums, the less inclined I become to go down that route. All I can say is that every step with the Buffalo has seen improvements, and I started off fairly happy with it (voltage out into TPA BALLSIE). I feed it from a CD-Pro2M transport or Squeezebox, and have separate supplies for SPDIF receiver (not the onboard Buffalo circuit), digital and analog circuits (the latter fed via a super-reg) and LCBPS for the CPs. I use a Volumite to control attenuation, and feed the balanced output directly into the Hypex amps - which you will most likely love).

The changes to the RG1/2 connections last night provided the icing on an already sweet listening experience for me. PRAT. dynamics, sweet tone, depth, low level detail "integrated" into the music like a fine turntable. More listening required of course, but I am truly pleased.

FYI - I have fed the output single ended into a "Starfish" pre amp I have, just for comparison. The CPs seemed to behave themselves.

Regards

Mark
krgaunt  
#20 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2009 9:35:54 AM(UTC)
krgaunt

HI Mark,

Just working with one CP board I put in 1nF for CC4 and CC5, and it stopped oscillating. When power is applied it oscillates at a high amplitude (went off my scope set at 50mV/cm), then after a second it is surpressed, just as the relay switches. So I finally was able to measure the DC offset of the CP output, I have -16mV on OUT- and -65mV at OUT+ with respect to board gnd!!! The rails into the board are at +/- 12.00V. I must really have mismatched transistors.

I haven't connected it to my power amp yet. I have the Sympatico with balanced inputs.
I'll install the caps on board 2 and check it out tonight.

RossG
Rss Feed  Atom Feed