Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
redbea7d  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 28, 2020 6:25:00 AM(UTC)
redbea7d

Groups: Member
United States

My current twisted pear audio setup includes:

Placid HD
Placide HD-BP
IVYIII
S\PDIF Mux
Buffalo III
Trident-SR
Firmware Update 3 for Buffalo III

After installing the Trident-SR into a working system, I no longer get the mute nor lock led to illuminate. There is no sound produced when I set my s/pidf mux to an input with an active input.

Now, everything in my system was working with the original Trident regulators. The reason I decided to upgrade to the Trident-SR was because my 1.2v regulator would drop voltage after prolonged play. This was happening before but I replaced the opamp with a new opamp from TI. This worked for awhile but then had issues with it again.

I have check the voltage on all the test points of the trident-SR regulators and have made sure everything is attached to the right board locations. The firmware chip is inserted with the dot matching the silkscreen.

Does anyone have an idea of where to go from here?
redbea7d  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 28, 2020 7:59:32 AM(UTC)
redbea7d

United States

After debugging the setup a little more, I have some new information.

With the Trident SR + New Firmware 3 chip -- The Mute light turns on for about 2-3 seconds upon power on (Didn't notice it at first). After that no lock is made nor does the mute light turn back on.

With the Trident SR + Original Firmware Chip -- The mute light does not come on at all, however the lock light will come on if and only if, the S/PIDF selection is on a channel that has no active stream present upon power up. Essentially to get music to play in this configuration, I power on the buffalo on an input that has nothing plugged in, then switch to the channel I want to select.

This sounds like I might need a new firmware chip or there is something else I am missing about the firmware change. The original firmware doesn't have a long enough settling time, as stated on the twisted pear website. This only seems to be apparent upon boot up.

I am going to run an over night test to see if I still get voltage drops on the new Trident SR.
Brian Donegan  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 30, 2020 1:12:54 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
Which Buffalo-III do you have? SE or 8-channel?
redbea7d  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 31, 2020 10:48:11 PM(UTC)
redbea7d

United States

I have the Buffalo III 8-Channel DAC.

Oddly, after prolonged use with the original firmware, I started having more consistent synchronization upon power-up with Trident-SRs. I'd say there is a 1/8 chance now that requires a power cycle to sync on power up.

As an update on the Trident-SR performance, I have had no voltage drops after prolonged use. The clarity is phenomenal.
Brian Donegan  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 2, 2020 11:41:49 AM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
I'll send you a replacement firmware chip
redbea7d  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 2, 2020 4:26:14 PM(UTC)
redbea7d

United States

I have USART programmer that I've used in the past for ATMEL chips. If you send me the hex file, I could try loading it on the chip.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed