Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mullet  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2018 5:30:03 AM(UTC)
Mullet

Groups: Member
United States

Hey guys,

Just got an OTTO II to switch between two sources - BeagleboneBlack and Amanero to Acko's S03 re-clocking board. I plan on doing synchronous clocking with RCK coming from the S03 back to both the Amanero and BBB. It's my understanding that digital signal going thru the OTTO II isn't bi-directional. Or is it? Meaning that LRCK, SDATA, and BCK go to the S03 while MCK (RCK) goes back to their respective source. If not I'll just wire direct to the source and only wire LRCK, SDATA, BCK on the OTTO.

I noticed there are 3 resistor networks that aren't included with the board. Are they necessary? If so, what are the part #s?

I'm assuming all I need is a SPST switch going to VCC and S to swap between sources?

Finally, is there a manual for this unit or am I over thinking things here?

I have a drawing that I prepped for this upcoming project... Does this make sense?
https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0uGWZuqDG1nPL6

Edited by user Thursday, April 12, 2018 5:30:35 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Brian Donegan  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2018 11:54:26 AM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
The OTTO is bi-directional. The name stands for One Two Two One, meaning it can be used to fan out a single source to two targets, or select a single source from multiples. You should have no problem routing MCK through it as well.

The resistors are included in the kit, I just forgot yours. They are on the way.

That is how you trigger it. You could also use digital logic or a micro-controller to switch it.

(You might be over thinking it :)). There is no manual per-se, but Leonvb did a nice writeup for it in the Integration Guide here: http://www.twistedpearau...gration_Guide_V2.1.3.pdf (Page 65).
Mullet  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2018 6:10:34 PM(UTC)
Mullet

United States

Great! So it will work in the way I was hoping.

More questions...

I'm hoping to be able to obtain an Amanero adapter board to convert pins to u.fl, but if that doesn't happen what is preferred - pin to pin using headers / recepticals? or soldered wire on Amanero -> wire fed to phoenix connectors?

Is it practical to use something like a pololu step up vreg (3v3 to 5v) to power the OTTO? It'd be coming from the Amanero's 3v3 output. Since I'll have isolation post OTTO I'd assuming this would block switching noise from the vreg. My alternative is to use the same 5v supply that is being used for DAC and Acko's Re-Clocker. This doesn't seem ideal because now my pre-isolated and post-isolated ground would be common. I'll be powering the 3v3 input for the re-clocker with a supply from the Beagle Bone Black.

In terms of switching between sources I'd like to use the Amanero being plugged in as a switch. Would I use DSD ON pin 7 or USB Plugged pin 1 for this?

Thanks,
Mullet
Brian Donegan  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2018 6:19:22 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Just power the OTTO with 3.3V. Simple.

I actually have some u.fl adaptor boards for the Amanero that I had made. I can send you one.

You'll have to experiment with the switching, but if you are using logic level outputs from the Amanero, you will need to share the ground. As long as you aren't using an isolator, this should be no trouble.
Mullet  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2018 8:42:57 PM(UTC)
Mullet

United States

Cool. Sounds great about the adapter board. How much you want for it?

Will have to ponder a bit about switching for the OTTO. Might just go stupid simple with a SPST. Thinking about it for a sec... if I'm using the Amanero to both power the OTTO and act as a switch when plugged in then I have a little issue. There will be no power to OTTO when Amanero is not plugged in. I think I'm better off using the 3v3 from my BBB to both OTTO and pre-isolation on S03 board since that will always be powered.

Thanks,
Mullet
Mullet  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 17, 2018 11:39:18 PM(UTC)
Mullet

United States

Brian,

Thanks for the adapter board! It's very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mullet
Brian Donegan  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 17, 2018 11:57:44 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

I am thinking of stocking those. Were the headers self explanatory?
Mullet  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 18, 2018 9:28:49 PM(UTC)
Mullet

United States

I haven't soldered everything up yet, but used a DMM to tone out the headers. Looks to be fairly straight forward to me. I'd say they're worth having up for sale.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed