Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
MWL168  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 1, 2016 9:58:21 PM(UTC)
MWL168

Groups: Member
United States

I posted this same problem over at DIYAUDIO's B II thread but got no responses. I hope I have better luck here.

I have a dual-mono Buffalo II that uses i2s connection via a Cronus/Hermes/Rhea/Amanero module. My Rheas are 45MHz and 49MHz and I use a Volumite with the B IIs.

I installed JRiver MediaCenter22 on my Macbook Pro. If I configure the MediaCenter's Bitstreaming to DSD and attempt to play a DSD256 file. It would not play and would cause the Volumite to stop working - I would get either max volume from the B II or very faint output and the Volumite has no control over the volume of the B II. I have to shut down the B II and turn it back on to get Volumite to start working again. Playing DSD64 and DSD128 using identical setting work just fine.

I can also play the same DSD256 file by changing the Bitstreaming to "None" in MediaCenter and the B II and Volumite would work just fine.

Can someone shed some light on the cause and remedy of this problem?

My Volumite has the same firmware I bought it with back in 2010 or 2011. Do I need an updated firmware?

Thanks!
Brian Donegan  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 1, 2016 10:47:14 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
Check the supply voltage to the Volumite while playing DSD512.

Also, if using Tridents, check the output voltage of the 1.2V Trident while playing DSD512.

Higher bandwidths use more current, and you may be experiencing supply sag causing the microcontroller out DAC to misbehave.
Brian Donegan  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 1, 2016 10:47:37 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
Also, there isn't a newer firmware revision.
MWL168  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 2, 2016 1:58:14 AM(UTC)
MWL168

Groups: Member
United States

Thanks Brian.

The Volumite is powered by a Placid HD which also powers B IIs. I have the Placid HD (latest version purchased this May) adjusted to shunt about 150mA after warm-up. I monitored the shunt current and the output voltage when I play the high-rez files and the shunt current does not dip much below 90mA and the output voltage of the Placid stays around 5.4VDC. But I'll double check again.

The problem I observe is different than those I read when supply voltage sags playing high-rez files. In my case, when attempt to play the DSD256 file, I got an error message right away from MediaCenter that there is something wrong and the file never even begin to play. I then switch to play a different file and the Volumite stop working. I have to recycle the power to my DAC and the volumite starts working again. It's as if the MediaCenter sent some data to the B IIs and the B IIs somehow got confused.

I am more interested in knowing the cause of the problem than try to get the B IIs to play DSD256 or higher resolution files.

Russ White  
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 27, 2016 2:29:34 AM(UTC)
Russ White

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
I have to admit - this is a stumper for me... Try a different media player?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed