Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
cdeveza  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2016 8:07:47 AM(UTC)
cdeveza

Groups: Member
United States

I am interested on the Buffalo IIIse. I read thru the website, and was quite overwhelmed. I need help in figuring out what to buy. Anybody, please help. Here is what I have and know.

I know I need the Buffalo IIIse kit, the instruction was clear enough on how to assemble. However, some are not.
I would like to have a volume control.
My input, I would like the Amanero, but dont know how to integrate to the DAC. DSD files
I would like TOS Link, what do I need to do this?
For the power, I know I need a transformer, but which one?
How about HDCD? is there a way to process these files?

For the I/V output, I build my own tube stage output.

Can someone guide me please on what to get to get the thing going?

Thanks in advance,
Alex

Edited by user Thursday, May 12, 2016 8:09:47 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gwikse  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2016 10:59:37 AM(UTC)
gwikse

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 17 post(s)
The Buffalo 3se has two inputs. One for i2s/dsd for the amanero, and one for sp-dif so that you can connect the optical module.

I would recomend reading through the integration guide.

http://www.twistedpearau...gration_Guide_V2.1.3.pdf
cdeveza  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2016 11:10:20 AM(UTC)
cdeveza

United States

As I said, I did read it, but I will go ahead and read thru it again. I guess I need to understand more how i2s/dsd is connected and spdif.
cdeveza  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2016 10:58:40 PM(UTC)
cdeveza

United States

Please, I read thru the manual, please correct me if I am wrong, these are the things I need to build a working unit.

- Buffalo IIIse (main board)
- Amanero, Hermes, Cronus Combo (usb input)
- TosLink (optical input)
- SPDIF 4:1 Mux Receiver
- 9v+9v transformer

Are these correct? or am I overdoing it?

Thanks in advance,
Alex
LeonvB  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2016 6:34:25 PM(UTC)
LeonvB

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 45 post(s)
A few PSUs would help. Please read the Powering it all section, plus study the Appendixes
thanks 1 user thanked LeonvB for this useful post.
cdeveza on 5/17/2016(UTC)
cdeveza  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2016 7:26:41 PM(UTC)
cdeveza

United States

Originally Posted by: LeonvB Go to Quoted Post
A few PSUs would help. Please read the Powering it all section, plus study the Appendixes

Ok, I see, I am missing a power supply. A placid HD 5.25v would be an addition. Is one module sufficient enough to power what I have? I will be using my own analog section, I already have an analog tube section with its own power. Question is, is one placid HD enough to power the main board, the amanero-hermes-cronus combo and TOS Link and mux receiver?

Last question, where/what enclosure does people assemble their DAC on? Just to get some ideas.

Thanks again in advance,
Alex
LeonvB  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2016 8:45:17 PM(UTC)
LeonvB

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Due to lack of time I've not built my hermes/cronus setup yet, nor fully worked out the documentation. Can't comment on it, sorry.

An enclosure is in the Extended bill of materials appendix, along with knobs. Since I'm on the other side of the pond it may not be a good option for you.
thanks 1 user thanked LeonvB for this useful post.
gwikse  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2016 9:02:59 PM(UTC)
gwikse

Originally Posted by: cdeveza Go to Quoted Post
Please, I read thru the manual, please correct me if I am wrong, these are the things I need to build a working unit.

- 9v+9v transformer

Thanks in advance,
Alex

From what I understand you are going to use 1 i2s input (amanero, hermes and cronos) and 1 sp-dif (optical)?

If so, you don`t need the mux. The B3se will do the switching using its on board switch.

In that case I would think that 1 supply may be enough, but I do not know how much current the hermes cronos solution need. I would rather have one supply too many, then one running very hot.

Just my 2 cents
thanks 1 user thanked gwikse for this useful post.
cdeveza  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2016 9:45:53 PM(UTC)
cdeveza

United States

Originally Posted by: gwikse Go to Quoted Post

- 9v+9v transformer

Thanks in advance,
Alex

From what I understand you are going to use 1 i2s input (amanero, hermes and cronos) and 1 sp-dif (optical)?

If so, you don`t need the mux. The B3se will do the switching using its on board switch.

In that case I would think that 1 supply may be enough, but I do not know how much current the hermes cronos solution need. I would rather have one supply too many, then one running very hot.

Just my 2 cents

Ok, I understand the switching, but for TOS Link, am I going to need S/PDIF Transceiver? The TOS Link needs an S/PDIF receiver, right? am I correct?

Ok, maybe I will get two power supply.

Thanks again,
Alex

gwikse  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2016 11:07:57 AM(UTC)
gwikse

- 9v+9v transformer

Thanks in advance,
Alex

Just my 2 cents

Ok, I understand the switching, but for TOS Link, am I going to need S/PDIF Transceiver? The TOS Link needs an S/PDIF receiver, right? am I correct?

Thanks again,
Alex

The B3se has an onboard sp-dif reciever alongside the i2s input. A simple switch will select between the two. Using an external sp-dif reciever/mux will imo be a waste of money if you only need 1 sp-dif (optical of coax) input. And even if you need more sp-dif inputs using the SPDIF 4:1 Mux Receiver is overkill as it is primarily designed for i2s dac`s (opus, cod etc). the Buffalo will accept sp-dif on its inputs, and has a mux built in. With the B3se most of the ESS9018 mux is not used, but it still has the sp-dif reciever that is built into the chip, and so there is imo no advantage to using an eksternal sp-dif - i2s solution compared to just connecting it directly to the built in sp-dif reciever of the dac chip. After all, the dac has it built in anyways, so why not use it?

So IMO what you need is:

B3se board with tridents
Optical module
Amanero Hermes cronos combo
1 or 2 Placid HD (with 1 it will run hot as h!"# if it even works).
9V transformer

If you want more sp-dif inputs you can use the 4:1 Mux/Demux Digital Switch Kit here : http://www.twistedpearau....com/control/4-1mux.aspx

That is a digital switch, and does nothing to the signals. The B3SE`s own sp-dif circuit will then be used instead of being bypassed by an external solution that does the same thing at a higher cost.
thanks 1 user thanked gwikse for this useful post.
cdeveza on 5/18/2016(UTC)
cdeveza  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2016 2:47:44 PM(UTC)
cdeveza

United States

- 9v+9v transformer

Thanks in advance,
Alex

Just my 2 cents

Thanks again,
Alex

The B3se has an onboard sp-dif reciever alongside the i2s input. A simple switch will select between the two. Using an external sp-dif reciever/mux will imo be a waste of money if you only need 1 sp-dif (optical of coax) input. And even if you need more sp-dif inputs using the SPDIF 4:1 Mux Receiver is overkill as it is primarily designed for i2s dac`s (opus, cod etc). the Buffalo will accept sp-dif on its inputs, and has a mux built in. With the B3se most of the ESS9018 mux is not used, but it still has the sp-dif reciever that is built into the chip, and so there is imo no advantage to using an eksternal sp-dif - i2s solution compared to just connecting it directly to the built in sp-dif reciever of the dac chip. After all, the dac has it built in anyways, so why not use it?

So IMO what you need is:

B3se board with tridents
Optical module
Amanero Hermes cronos combo
1 or 2 Placid HD (with 1 it will run hot as h!"# if it even works).
9V transformer

If you want more sp-dif inputs you can use the 4:1 Mux/Demux Digital Switch Kit here : http://www.twistedpearau....com/control/4-1mux.aspx

That is a digital switch, and does nothing to the signals. The B3SE`s own sp-dif circuit will then be used instead of being bypassed by an external solution that does the same thing at a higher cost.

EXCELLENT, just what I need, thanks, I appreciate it. The next thing I want to learn is how to do switching and volume using software, but thats next.

Alex
Rss Feed  Atom Feed