Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
beast  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 9, 2008 6:21:33 AM(UTC)
beast

Groups: Member

Hi All

I really need some advice about what to get to upgrade my current system. I like to use a PC for all my sound needs and I have made a system that I like, but there is always room for improvements. My main problem is my current soundcard that generates a DC bang when the PC power goes on and off (also suspend/resume) because I have a power amplifer connected directly to the sound card. Also like to upgrade the sound card btw. I have made a solution so I can control the power to the power amplifier with special software and a DIY USB I/O system that can control the power.

To improve I like to make a USB-DAC solution to improve the sound. I like to avoid the internal windows re-sampling but at the same time I like to be able to control the sound volume with my Microsoft standard remote if possible (I use XP SP3). Will also try out Linux MythTV. I also like the DIY approach with a special home made solution ;)

It will be best if I can use a frontend like MediaPortal or MythTV because I like to operate the PC with a remote only and also have the need to record TV etc. Do not want to use a keyboard all the time ;)

What do I need so I am able to get the best stereo sound possible right now for my system;

Buffalo DAC + IVY Active I/V Stage + Power Supplies Combination

Think I also need a USB Receiver to connect it to the PC

or will the following combination be more relevant for my setup

Opus Dual-Mono DAC + USB Receiver Combo

One extra question is if I need another DAC for the subwoofer and how to connect it all

Need to connect the output to this Power Amp:
http://www.acoustic-reality.com/ear202se.htm

Also need to feed a subwoofer:
http://www.system-audio....o%20175/SubElectro%20175

This is the other component of my current system:
http://shop.system-audio.../SA1280_introduction.htm
http://www.audiotrak.net/products/prodigy71hifi/
Dougie085  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 9, 2008 8:18:16 AM(UTC)
Dougie085

I have a dual mono Opus that has always sounded fantastic. If you get the opus you definitely want to get the Metronome.

I've been a bit curious about how I could add a subwoofer out as well.
beast  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 9, 2008 8:33:04 AM(UTC)
beast

Dougie085 wrote:
I have a dual mono Opus that has always sounded fantastic. If you get the opus you definitely want to get the Metronome.

I've been a bit curious about how I could add a subwoofer out as well.

Found this:

http://www.anandtech.com...doc.aspx?i=3467&p=10

As far as I can see they just connect one extra DAC to the the I2C bus - but is it so easy?

Edited by user Tuesday, December 9, 2008 8:36:44 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Brian Donegan  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 9, 2008 8:53:25 AM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
If you are using one of our output stages for the Opus (IVY for example) which also converts the balanced outputs to single-ended, you can easily just power both from the same outputs. If you need individual level control for the sub, I think a second a second USB module would be needed so it can be addressed from Windows.

Alternately, you could use you S/PDIF outputs and obtain full 24/96 output, but again will need to use multiple S/PDIF channels for individual addressing if needed.
Dougie085  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 9, 2008 9:14:08 AM(UTC)
Dougie085

So by using a USB module for the Sub output would windows be able to send the same signal out 2 different devices? Generally from what I've done I can only use one as my default audio device and what not. Unless apps like Foobar will let you output an LFE out of one device.
beast  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 9, 2008 12:26:17 PM(UTC)
beast

Brian Donegan wrote:
If you are using one of our output stages for the Opus (IVY for example) which also converts the balanced outputs to single-ended, you can easily just power both from the same outputs. If you need individual level control for the sub, I think a second a second USB module would be needed so it can be addressed from Windows.

Alternately, you could use you S/PDIF outputs and obtain full 24/96 output, but again will need to use multiple S/PDIF channels for individual addressing if needed.

Will the Opus work right away with my single-ended amp or is the IVY Balanced Linestage needed for both the Opus and the Buffalo DAC to make it work?

If I need to connect both the subwoofer amp and the main speaker amp directly to the output from the modules do I then need the IVY module? - I am confused ;)

Is it possible to use an extra DAC module for the Sub and in this way add an extra line? In this way the volume of both amp will be relatively the same at least. If I use 2 different USB or S/PDIF ports then I have a problem controlling both volumes in synchronization as far as I can see (special software)

The S/PDIF outputs produce better quality than the USB module as far as I understand but is it possible to control the master volume this way?

Know it is a lot of questions and I really appreciate all answers.
Brian Donegan  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 9, 2008 12:45:55 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
While you can connect your single-ended gear directly to the Opus balanced outputs (using +out and GND), you do so at the expense of signal level (half the voltage swing) and higher distortion (loose the benefits of differential noise cancellation). IVY adds additional post filtering as well as proper Bal->SE conversion, as well as an output buffer.

I would only use a separate receiver/DAC if you have software to control both separately. If you just want to supply signal to your amp(s) and sub, then control relative sub levels at the subwoofer (typical) and have a single master volume, just connect both to the IVY's SE outputs.

You can typically control the volume (digitally) in Windows regardless on the output method. It will depend somewhat on the drivers for your audio card.
beast  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, December 9, 2008 1:17:19 PM(UTC)
beast

Brian Donegan wrote:
While you can connect your single-ended gear directly to the Opus balanced outputs (using +out and GND), you do so at the expense of signal level (half the voltage swing) and higher distortion (loose the benefits of differential noise cancellation). IVY adds additional post filtering as well as proper Bal->SE conversion, as well as an output buffer.

I would only use a separate receiver/DAC if you have software to control both separately. If you just want to supply signal to your amp(s) and sub, then control relative sub levels at the subwoofer (typical) and have a single master volume, just connect both to the IVY's SE outputs.

You can typically control the volume (digitally) in Windows regardless on the output method. It will depend somewhat on the drivers for your audio card.

OK - so what I need is this:

2 Opus DAC Module (Assembled and Tested)
1 Low-Current Dual Power Supply Kit for the Opus
1 IVY Module Kit for Opus
1 Low-Current Bipolar Power Supply for the IVY

and a USB Receiver Module if I like to try out USB or a S/PDIF (WM8804) Receiver Module if I like to go for S/PDIF

or

1 Buffalo DAC Module (Assembled and Tested)
1 Low-Current Dual Power Supply Kit (for Buffalo)
1 IVY for Buffalo Active I/V Stage Kit
1 Low-Current Bipolar Power Supply Kit (for IVY)

and a USB Receiver Module if I like to try out USB

What do you think will create the best sound? What about the Metronome ASRC? This is as far as I understand it is only needed if I use the I2C solution (USB or Opus S/PDIF) and will it really improve the sound?
BacR  
#9 Posted : Monday, December 15, 2008 6:38:46 PM(UTC)
BacR

USB Receiver Module if I like to try out USB

USB is not well designed for sound and messy, but almost all sound cards have SPDIF 24/196 and usually ASIO.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed