Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

14 Pages«<910111213>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
LeonvB  
#201 Posted : Wednesday, March 27, 2013 6:20:02 PM(UTC)
LeonvB

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: gwikse Go to Quoted Post
I just noticed something. I will have to swap left/right channel for it to be correct on the rear panel. Does anyone know if it is possible to swap left and right in the firmware?

In the firmware? Yes, if it's dual mono: see register 17.
gwikse  
#202 Posted : Wednesday, March 27, 2013 8:46:47 PM(UTC)
gwikse

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LeonvB Go to Quoted Post
I just noticed something. I will have to swap left/right channel for it to be correct on the rear panel. Does anyone know if it is possible to swap left and right in the firmware?

In the firmware? Yes, if it's dual mono: see register 17.

It is not dual mono, but perhaps that setting would swap left and right output from the dac anyways (0 is default left is left, right is right - 1 is left is right, right is left)? Oh well no real crisis I only have to run slightly longer internal IC cables if they can not be swapped.

The first spdif input Group is done (measured With dmm, not tested With actual signal yet).

gwikse attached the following image(s):
wiring 1done.jpg (229kb) downloaded 31 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
gwikse  
#203 Posted : Thursday, March 28, 2013 3:28:16 PM(UTC)
gwikse

Serious problems.

DC offset With the dac Connected to the IV stage: 80mV (left) and 100mV (right) at the output of the IV stage. With no dac Connected: 3,3mV (left) and 5,5mV (right).

No Lock from any signal Source.
gwikse  
#204 Posted : Thursday, March 28, 2013 8:49:42 PM(UTC)
gwikse

Tested With different Power supplies and there is "no" problem (aprox 5mV offset on each output). Replaced the LCDPS With another LCDPS; problem still there. Next to try is to swap out the trannies, then Placid HDBP With a LCBPS.

Oh well. Long way to go Brick wall

Edit: help? I can not get rid of the offset no matter what I do. The transformers have been swapped, The IV stage, PSU`s DAC module (B3 vs B2).

No matter what I do I end up With DC offset ranging from 60 to 120mV between ground and - + and up to 200mV between pos and gnd on the SE output.

Edited by user Friday, March 29, 2013 12:56:50 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1.jpg (231kb) downloaded 32 time(s).
2.jpg (253kb) downloaded 26 time(s).
3.jpg (249kb) downloaded 29 time(s).
4.jpg (249kb) downloaded 24 time(s).
5.jpg (235kb) downloaded 19 time(s).

gwikse  
#205 Posted : Friday, March 29, 2013 1:09:46 AM(UTC)
gwikse

The tridents measure 1.18V, 3.28, 3.29 and AVCC V2 measure 3.48 at each output.

When the dac and IV stage is not Connected (but still both Powered) the Ivy`s gnd to pos or neg measure 3.3mV/5.5mV and the SE measure +-0,0mV

With signal coming in, the dac has to be restarted a few times before the Lock led lights up and stay on. I have not tried to have an incoming signal while the dac and IV are seporated in order to see whether the Lock will stay on.

Help will be greatly appreciated. If this is normal behavior and I am just being an idiot, that would also fall in the greatly appreciated category. Anything to get back on track.
6.jpg (245kb) downloaded 12 time(s).
7.jpg (244kb) downloaded 13 time(s).
8.jpg (240kb) downloaded 9 time(s).
9.jpg (226kb) downloaded 9 time(s).

Russ White  
#206 Posted : Friday, March 29, 2013 1:53:26 AM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Why not just wire to the opposite jacks?
gwikse  
#207 Posted : Friday, March 29, 2013 2:11:46 AM(UTC)
gwikse

Originally Posted by: Russ White Go to Quoted Post
Why not just wire to the opposite jacks?

I take it you have not read my last posts... and that that statement is regarding the swapped left and right channel. I have moved beond that to a far more serious problem; DC offset on all outputs. Any thoughts on that?

Edited by user Friday, March 29, 2013 2:14:09 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gwikse  
#208 Posted : Friday, March 29, 2013 1:34:06 PM(UTC)
gwikse

It looks like the end of the road for me for now. I have put more
Money and time into this Project than I should have, and now that I
cant work Things out and ask for help on troubleshooting there is no
response or response on the wrong Things. The modules are atm very
Close to ending up in the bin, but for now I`ll pack it all away and
unfortunately be without a stereo system for a while, untill either I
can get any help from the People who make the modules or buy something
else that actually work. What scares me the most is that I have not
measured for DC offset untill now and I may have sent a signal With
loads of DC offset to my Power amp and Audiphysic Virgo 5 speakers for
about 2 years.... If my speakers are damaged TPA will have a hard time
explaining how exactly the Ivy3 is DC coupled (as they have said in
the past). I did everything by the book and if I had not measured the
DC offset prior to connecting the balanced output to a 4pin XLR plug,
my beyerdynamic T1`s would have ended up in the bin. With damaged
drivers.

Edited by user Friday, March 29, 2013 1:58:26 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Brian Donegan  
#209 Posted : Friday, March 29, 2013 2:19:31 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
3-5mV is not much offset, certainly nothing to worry about. I would call it "typical." Measuring DC-offset with a multimeter without the inputs shorted to ground will give inaccurate readings.

What kind of DC can you measure at your amplifier outputs?

Edited by user Friday, March 29, 2013 2:24:40 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gwikse  
#210 Posted : Friday, March 29, 2013 2:49:56 PM(UTC)
gwikse

Tested With different Power supplies and there is "no" problem (aprox 5mV offset on each output). Replaced the LCDPS With another LCDPS; problem still there. Next to try is to swap out the trannies, then Placid HDBP With a LCBPS.

Edit: help? I can not get rid of the offset no matter what I do. The transformers have been swapped, The IV stage, PSU`s DAC module (B3 vs B2).

No matter what I do I end up With DC offset ranging from 60 to 120mV between ground and - + and up to 200mV between pos and gnd on the SE output.

Regardless of inputs Connected or not. I am not too keen on hooking it up to the Power amp With that much offset. The Ivy alone has a up to 5mV offset when the dac is not Connected to it. When I Connect the dac, the offset is as stated above (underlined).

Edited by user Friday, March 29, 2013 2:56:52 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Brian Donegan  
#211 Posted : Friday, March 29, 2013 3:09:32 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
I honestly don't think you have a problem.

Do you have a scope you can use to look at the outputs? As I said, a multi-meter is giving you a bad picture of what's on the outputs when the inputs are floating.

Edited by user Friday, March 29, 2013 3:12:58 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Russ White  
#212 Posted : Friday, March 29, 2013 3:13:47 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
If you really are concerned you can use AC coupling caps, but there are hundreds (if not more) people using IVY Dc coupled. :) It should not be necessary at all.
DQ828  
#213 Posted : Saturday, March 30, 2013 10:05:26 PM(UTC)
DQ828

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Regardless of inputs Connected or not. I am not too keen on hooking it up to the Power amp With that much offset. The Ivy alone has a up to 5mV offset when the dac is not Connected to it. When I Connect the dac, the offset is as stated above (underlined).

How exactly did you test for the offset, I might do the test & see what I get, I imagine if Russ & Brian think it's not a problem , it's probably not a problem.

gwikse  
#214 Posted : Saturday, March 30, 2013 11:03:43 PM(UTC)
gwikse

Originally Posted by: DQ828 Go to Quoted Post

How exactly did you test for the offset, I might do the test & see what I get, I imagine if Russ & Brian think it's not a problem , it's probably not a problem.

Thank you very much. The test Points as I have measured are between GND and the Red "Arrows".

I will test the dac Connected to an amplifier later on, but at this stage this is unfortunately no longer the only issue, as I can not seem to get a Lock on the dac and the Lock and mute leds live a life of their own. Sometimes I get the Lock led glowing when there is no Source Connected...
test.jpg (247kb) downloaded 29 time(s).

Corpius  
#215 Posted : Sunday, March 31, 2013 8:00:43 AM(UTC)
Corpius

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Maybe it is just me, but it looks like you swapped the trident at the right side of your DAC.
DQ828  
#216 Posted : Sunday, March 31, 2013 8:11:22 AM(UTC)
DQ828

Thank you very much. The test Points as I have measured are between GND and the Red "Arrows".

I will test the dac Connected to an amplifier later on, but at this stage this is unfortunately no longer the only issue, as I can not seem to get a Lock on the dac and the Lock and mute leds live a life of their own. Sometimes I get the Lock led glowing when there is no Source Connected...

I measured my DAC 1 which is a BIII & IVY, it was not connected to an amp, on the left channel at the SE +, + & - I have virtually no DC showing, on the Right channel I had, SE + = 190mV, + = 90mV, - = 100 mV, interesting. This DAC has been up & playing thru my amps for a long time with no obvious ill effect, it does go via a analogue active crossover, it sounds great all seems well.

I then tested my DAC 2 which is a BIII SE & Tube-i-zator, which was also not connected to an amp, had just removed it to play with the code. OMFG, the DC is off the planet, I only tested between the grnd & SE signal on both sides, one side read 36v, yes that's 36v, which steadily fell the longer I held the mutlimeter in place, of course the phone rang so I'm not sure how low it would have gone, the other channel showed 890mV.

Hmm, my amp still works fine!! I then connected a Kingrex T class amp to the DAC 2, played music & re tested Grnd to Signal + again, both channels showed 0.002v.

I don't know jack about how this all works but my guess is there isn't really a problem, if you have a cheap amp give it a run, assuming you can get a lock.

Edited by user Sunday, March 31, 2013 8:21:06 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DQ828  
#217 Posted : Sunday, March 31, 2013 8:18:40 AM(UTC)
DQ828

Originally Posted by: Corpius Go to Quoted Post
Maybe it is just me, but it looks like you swapped the trident at the right side of your DAC.

Yes something looks a bit unusual there

gwikse  
#218 Posted : Sunday, March 31, 2013 11:01:33 AM(UTC)
gwikse

I measured my DAC 1 which is a BIII & IVY, it was not connected to an amp, on the left channel at the SE +, + & - I have virtually no DC showing, on the Right channel I had, SE + = 190mV, + = 90mV, - = 100 mV, interesting. This DAC has been up & playing thru my amps for a long time with no obvious ill effect, it does go via a analogue active crossover, it sounds great all seems well.

I then tested my DAC 2 which is a BIII SE & Tube-i-zator, which was also not connected to an amp, had just removed it to play with the code. OMFG, the DC is off the planet, I only tested between the grnd & SE signal on both sides, one side read 36v, yes that's 36v, which steadily fell the longer I held the mutlimeter in place, of course the phone rang so I'm not sure how low it would have gone, the other channel showed 890mV.

Hmm, my amp still works fine!! I then connected a Kingrex T class amp to the DAC 2, played music & re tested Grnd to Signal + again, both channels showed 0.002v.

I don't know jack about how this all works but my guess is there isn't really a problem, if you have a cheap amp give it a run, assuming you can get a lock.

Thank you for confirming it. Those measurements look very simular to the ones I got. I take it that the same thing as With the Tube-i-zator will happen With the measured DC when hooking up the Ivy to an amp.
gwikse  
#219 Posted : Sunday, March 31, 2013 11:05:24 AM(UTC)
gwikse

Originally Posted by: Corpius Go to Quoted Post

Yes something looks a bit unusual there

The B2 has a different pin-out for the tridents than the B3 (wich has swapped in and out on one module to be able to Mount all the tridents in the same orientation).
B2.jpg (159kb) downloaded 17 time(s).
B3.jpg (190kb) downloaded 24 time(s).

Corpius  
#220 Posted : Sunday, March 31, 2013 11:27:25 AM(UTC)
Corpius

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 18 post(s)
that explains everything (regarding the trident)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed