Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

4 Pages<1234>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Russ White  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, October 3, 2012 2:29:08 AM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Worth a try for sure. :)
SCompRacer  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, October 3, 2012 6:56:28 PM(UTC)
SCompRacer

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Hi Russ. I have been trying to get my Arduino going on my dual mono build. Does the star ground apply to the Arduino GND as well?

Currently I have SDA/SCL connected to pins 23 and 24 of the master DAC board external I/O connector. GND is connected to pin 3 of the master DAC board, where pin 3 and 4 are both ground.

While playing DSD from a modded CD player through the Sidecar, I get nasty static spikes from the speakers every time I change a setting with the encoder (like DPLL settings). When playing I2S from the same player through the Sidecar, or even SPDIF through the 4 channel input board, I can change any menu setting without that nasty static spike/pop occuring. DSD plays fine as long as I don't touch the encoder (I know, like the doc says, if it hurts doing that, well don't do that). ;)

I have the Arduino connected to one half of an LCDPS set to 6.5 v (highest it can go unmodded) and it seems to work OK. I also got the static pops when changing menu settings playing DSD using a 12 volt AC wall wart power supply for the Arduino.

Edited by user Wednesday, October 3, 2012 7:00:13 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Corpius  
#23 Posted : Thursday, October 4, 2012 8:29:06 PM(UTC)
Corpius

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Originally Posted by: SCompRacer Go to Quoted Post
I have the Arduino connected to one half of an LCDPS set to 6.5 v (highest it can go unmodded) and it seems to work OK. I also got the static pops when changing menu settings playing DSD using a 12 volt AC wall wart power supply for the Arduino.
The Arduino site advises a voltage between 7,5 and 12 volt. It would probably work fine, but when using digital logic they will not guarantee that it outputs 5v. It could be a bit lower. I think that all you need to do to mod the LCDPS for higher voltages is using another potentiometer.

Originally Posted by: Russ White Go to Quoted Post
Worth a try for sure. :)

Thanks, I sure will!
Brian Donegan  
#24 Posted : Thursday, October 4, 2012 9:05:40 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
we should move this discussion out of the Project Gallery so people can find it.
Corpius  
#25 Posted : Thursday, October 4, 2012 9:13:47 PM(UTC)
Corpius

Good idea, you are the one with the powers to move it. The only question is where to put it?
SCompRacer  
#26 Posted : Friday, October 5, 2012 12:27:44 AM(UTC)
SCompRacer

Originally Posted by: Corpius Go to Quoted Post

The Arduino site advises a voltage between 7,5 and 12 volt.

I was looking at their limit voltage of 6-20 and decided to try it. I had hoped it would solve the DSD popping thing. I can mod the LCDPS, but also have a LCBPS, whats one more toroidal? ;)

Originally Posted by: Brian Donegan Go to Quoted Post
we should move this discussion out of the Project Gallery so people can find it.

That would be OK by me.

Edited by user Friday, October 5, 2012 12:28:37 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

SCompRacer  
#27 Posted : Saturday, October 6, 2012 7:59:20 PM(UTC)
SCompRacer

Good news, I have two S/PDIF sources connected to my Twisted Pear 4 channel input board and get lock on each one when selected with the Arduino control. Corpius's code rocks, all four inputs work. (I physically moved my two coax inputs to all input positions to test).

Code link found in this thread.
http://www.twistedpearau...uino-Buffalo-shield.aspx

Direct link.
http://www.ce-designs.ne...-arduino-input-selection

Thank you Corpius!

While powered off, I checked continuity between pins 3 and 4 of the BIII DAC boards external I/O header and my star GND, and found GND is GND. The Arduino I2C GND is still connected to pin 3 of the I/O header with no problems (no hums or strange Arduino behaviour) so I'll just leave it there.

I installed my TP LCBPS and have 12 volts B+ going to my Arduino board. At this time I have Arduino power supply negative direct to the power supply.

Still in proto mode, but nice to have it working. This means I can start on a case with hole cut for LCD screen. I may just leave it with the 4x20 screen. I've had enough issues to deal with....d'oh!

UserPostedImage

A nice hi-res vinyl rip I made. Also want to thank glt of HiFiDuino who started the Arduino control.

UserPostedImage

My other labor of love. A heavy plinth Swiss made Lenco idler drive turntable with linear tracking air bearing tonearm. I have both vinyl and digital sources covered now!

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Saturday, October 6, 2012 8:28:00 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

SCompRacer  
#28 Posted : Wednesday, October 17, 2012 12:24:26 AM(UTC)
SCompRacer

Anybody happen to use a modushop 29mm knob, part number 1MN30N? I am trying to find if that is the diameter of the knob or the flange on the knob. I am trying to finish my front panel design in FPE and want to recess the knob in the front panel. modushop doesn't seem to answer email requests, unless I need to get it translated to Italian.

LeonvB  
#29 Posted : Wednesday, October 17, 2012 5:00:57 PM(UTC)
LeonvB

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 45 post(s)
I've used it. The flange is 29mm diameter, the knob itself is 25mm. 30mm is what I would use for the cut-out.
thanks 1 user thanked LeonvB for this useful post.
SCompRacer on 10/18/2012(UTC)
SCompRacer  
#30 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2012 12:17:04 AM(UTC)
SCompRacer

Thank you Leon!
SCompRacer  
#31 Posted : Monday, November 5, 2012 7:02:00 PM(UTC)
SCompRacer

I hope I am not offending TP here. I figured it would be all right as they don't offer a shield for the Arduino UNO.

I added the Buffalo shield that Corpius designed and markets. His shield and the LCDextra board reduces the wiring needed between components. I elected to use headers and connectors to the IR receiver, LCD, encoder and DAC board/Sidecar relay. The wiring to the DAC is shown in last pic. I picked up an assortment of round PCB boards at Radio Shack to mount the IR and encoder to. They have round traces around the holes on one side of the board to allow soldering the leads.

I ordered a Pesante 3U from modushop today. I got the big one, 450mm x 400mm x 120mm tall. While it coud be squeezed into a tighter enclosure, it was going to take up a shelf anyway so why not allow some room around components.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Monday, November 5, 2012 7:16:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: spellin'

SCompRacer  
#32 Posted : Saturday, November 17, 2012 2:24:39 PM(UTC)
SCompRacer

I forgot to update my Denon I2S/DSD export mod. I2S and DSD share two circuits in the Denon, but I initially missed the fact that DSD swaps R and L channels. Rather than build a relay bank to correct it, I used an OTTO II to correctly phase R and L channels for DSD. Same mechanical switch on back of Denon chooses which signal to export via a TP Teleporter.

I am on the list for an Amanero USB adapter that does I2S/DSD and will have to use an OTTO II in the the same way inside the DAC. Actually two OTTO II will be needed in the DAC with two I2S/DSD sources feeding the Sidecar.

Edited by user Saturday, November 17, 2012 2:29:38 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

SCompRacer attached the following image(s):
otto_close.jpg (220kb) downloaded 38 time(s).
otto.jpg (193kb) downloaded 38 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Corpius  
#33 Posted : Saturday, November 17, 2012 2:37:07 PM(UTC)
Corpius

Originally Posted by: SCompRacer Go to Quoted Post
I forgot to update my Denon I2S/DSD export mod. I2S and DSD share two circuits in the Denon, but I initially missed the fact that DSD swaps R and L channels. Rather than build a relay bank to correct it, I used an OTTO II to correctly phase R and L channels for DSD. Same mechanical switch on back of Denon chooses which signal to export via a TP Teleporter.

I am on the list for an Amanero USB adapter that does I2S/DSD and will have to use an OTTO II in the the same way inside the DAC. Actually two OTTO II will be needed in the DAC with two I2S/DSD sources feeding the Sidecar.
Nice. With the Amenaro you would not need you Denon anymore to play DSD. You can rip all you SACD's and play them with your computer.

I have been busy with my WavIO today, but I had forgotten to buy some connectors for the ribbon cable i'm planning to use with it. Brick wall So the project is on hold until next weekend.

ed linssen  
#34 Posted : Saturday, November 17, 2012 6:05:44 PM(UTC)
ed linssen

Hi Corpius,

You could slaughter some computercable you have laying around. Cut the connector and cable to the size you need.

Ed
Corpius  
#35 Posted : Saturday, November 17, 2012 7:47:34 PM(UTC)
Corpius

Hi Ed,

If I had some I would definitely use them. If I order the connectors today I can pick them up Monday right after work.

SCompRacer  
#36 Posted : Sunday, November 18, 2012 10:16:18 PM(UTC)
SCompRacer

Originally Posted by: Corpius Go to Quoted Post

Nice. With the Amenaro you would not need you Denon anymore to play DSD. You can rip all you SACD's and play them with your computer.

Thanks! I belong to a small music group and we have occasional music meets. While the Denon will mostly sit here unused, there will still be a need for it when folks bring hard media by.

I was also going to try the I2S out via Teleporter mod on my SB Touch. I wanted to buy a second Touch to do the mod in case I screwed it up. I waited too long. Since Logitech discontinued them, the prices are crazy, like $400 - $800 US on ebay.

Edited by user Sunday, November 18, 2012 10:17:26 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

SCompRacer  
#37 Posted : Sunday, November 18, 2012 11:39:27 PM(UTC)
SCompRacer

Though it isn't finished, I took my DAC to a friends house where we had a small audio get together. This linked forum (Rockford Audio Society) is a sub forum at Clup Polk (Polk Audio). Anyone can view it but you must be a member of the group to post in it.

http://www.polkaudio.com...page=1515&do=discuss

My DAC was well received. We played hard media through my modded Denon and SPDIF via coax from an older Squeezebox II. The two comments. I love it when other folks reaffirm what I think about the DAC's SQ.

"I'll tell ya what. If God wanted to create a DAC then he had Rich's in mind. I think the easiest way to describe it is just WOW! Once it gets to its final resting place it will be an amazing piece of gear. All the hard work that was put in has definitely paid off. That paired with A2's amp and we had some pretty good tunes flowing."

"Rich's DAC is a wonder! Never seen anything quite like it and I 've had my nose in some pretty interesting electronics over the years. Oh...and it does sound fantastic!"

They loved the remote control and HiFiDuino/Corpius code. One fellow brought a Squeezebox 2 with laptop. We found the remote for the Squeezebox is similar to the Apple remote code. When scrolling through song listings, it also changed my DAC's input. At first it was like what broke, it worked a minute ago....

Edited by user Sunday, November 18, 2012 11:40:36 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

SCompRacer  
#38 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2012 8:15:55 AM(UTC)
SCompRacer

Hardware debounce implemented on a round board the rotary encoder is mounted to. Based on glt/HiFiDuino's new bounce circuit diagram.

http://hifiduino.files.w...s.com/2010/10/rotenc.jpg

Edited by user Wednesday, November 21, 2012 8:18:42 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

hdwre_debnc_1.jpg (198kb) downloaded 8 time(s).
hdwre_debnc_2.jpg (239kb) downloaded 11 time(s).

SCompRacer  
#39 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2012 6:26:53 PM(UTC)
SCompRacer

Modushop sent me a progress report, off to anodizing! Should ship next week.

Edited by user Wednesday, November 21, 2012 6:28:27 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

before_ano.jpg (108kb) downloaded 72 time(s).

gwikse  
#40 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2012 7:08:02 PM(UTC)
gwikse

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Very nice :) Applause
Rss Feed  Atom Feed