Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
eseal  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 22, 2012 6:42:25 PM(UTC)
eseal

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
One of the great aspects of DIY projects is that they can be customized to the builder's wants/needs. However, there is also a significant drawback, and that is the lack of input from other very capable minds.

Attached is a picture of a Dual Mono Buffalo III. It is almost complete, except for a USB transport and remote control. I also am planning to configure the Input, Mute, and Lock LEDs in a different way than I have seen previously, so they are not configured in this prototype as they will be in the final version. The only significant change I have made is to use 2" heat sinks instead of the 1 1/2" sinks supplied. I don't think one can have too much cooling in this situation, especially with shunt-regulated power supplies.

The fiinal version will be placed in a ventilated Hammond cabinet with a separate chassis (which I will also additionally ventilate). I chose this cabinet because it has a chassis, as well as front and rear panels that are replaceable (just in case I change my mind about lay-out). The cardboard box used in the pictures has about the same footprint at the permanent chassis, so final lay-out should be fairly simple. The fact that it is a Clorox box should help keep the signal clean.Dancing

All of the standard digital inputs (AES/EBU, coaxial, and Toslink) work fine. I have not been able to try any higher-resolution inputs because I don't have a USB Transport (yet). I'm hoping that the TPA USB Transport will be out soon. I would really like to try it with my Windows-based music server (that I also built).

Your constructive criticism of any aspect of my lay-out will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by user Saturday, June 23, 2012 12:08:45 PM(UTC)  | Reason: revised text

eseal attached the following image(s):
A.jpg (196kb) downloaded 331 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
rdowdall  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 29, 2012 3:50:11 PM(UTC)
rdowdall

United States

Hello - I am just getting started on my stereo BIII so I don't have the expertise to give you an in depth critique but from what I've read in Leon's manual and in these posts it looks like your close. I put a post out yesterday evening with photos of my proposed layout. I'm using an old McIntosh Chassis

Rick
thanks 1 user thanked rdowdall for this useful post.
eseal on 6/30/2012(UTC)
eseal  
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 30, 2012 8:30:53 AM(UTC)
eseal

Thanks. Rick. I've found tbe posts of others very helpful as I've planned and built my DAC. I like that you are adaptively reusing a chassis for your dac.

rdowdall  
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 30, 2012 8:03:09 PM(UTC)
rdowdall

United States

I've been wondering about stacking the torroidals. How is that working out?
eseal  
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 1, 2012 12:16:41 AM(UTC)
eseal

Before stacking the toroids, I contacted A-L technical support. They said it should not be a problem, and indeed, it has not been.

Edited by user Sunday, July 1, 2012 11:34:22 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

rdowdall  
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 1, 2012 2:11:11 AM(UTC)
rdowdall

United States

Cool - I bought a threaded rod today and stack mounted my transformers to a small 16 ga stainless plate. The plate then mounts to the chassis.

How are you connecting your music server? Mine is currently connected to a Schiit Bifrost Dac via TosLink. The Bifrost will do 24/192 via optical but if I remember correctly the TPA Toslink can only do 24/96.
eseal  
#7 Posted : Sunday, July 1, 2012 11:32:31 AM(UTC)
eseal

I'm still waiting for a USB transport for my TPA dual mono DAC. I have only been able to use it with 16 bit/44.1kHz sources.

My high-resolution digital system consizts of a custom-built music server feeding an Audio Research DAC8 via USB.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed