Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
dubya  
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 19, 2008 7:04:23 PM(UTC)
dubya

Groups: Member

I have been looking for something to do with my free time, and have gotten very much into stereo sound quality due to a few odd instances in life recently. I want to do this, but really, where do you start?

The story goes, I have a room in the house with decent acoustics, good speakers, and an unspeakable device currently being used as a DAC. I would like to move to a computer-based SPDIF out (large FLAC collection), to a high quality DAC, to a vintage stereo receiver... I have figured out that I need the DAC, some way to get the bits to the DAC, and a way to get the waves out of it, and I believe that most of this is provided in your Buffalo/IVY kit. I can't find any confirmation of this... is there a place where people show off their complete systems? Please take pity in the newb... I will learn, but am having a terrible time finding detailed information of a 'complete' system. (I know there are clocks and syncs and all sorts of details).

My questions being...

Where do you learn, what books do I need to read to become just dangerous enough to break things without frying too much?

Specifically...
Can SPDIF go straight to the DAC or does it need to go through another stage first?
When IVY is done with the signal, does that go straight to the receiver?

Apologies, again, and thanks!

John
Russ White  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 20, 2008 7:30:58 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Hi John,

I understand your position. I have been there. A lot of the learning process is practical application and a lot of reading.

The Buffalo can take SPDIF directly. If you use the COD or Opus you will need a receiver module (either the "MUX" module or the "WM8804" module).

When IVY is done with the signal it will be at 2VRMS at 0db output. That is to say at full volume it will be about 2.8Vpp. Thats going to be very very loud on a comsumer type power amplifier.

You will need some kind of volume control.

For that we have two great options. The easiest is the "volumite". The essentially gives you a digital volume knob for your DAC. This is a superb option. The second is the Joshua Tree, which is less ideal for the Buffalo and COD, but great for the Opus. It is still very doable for the Buffalo/COD, but would have to come after the IVY. Ok there is a third option, but it will take some more time to develop so I won't say anything else but its called "AC1". :)

So for you I would recommend this:

1) Buffalo + IVY with power supplies.
2) Volumite.

The IVY is wired directly out. :)

I hope that helps. Please let me know if I missed anything. I am prone to do that.

Cheers!
Russ

Edited by user Monday, October 20, 2008 7:32:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

dubya  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 20, 2008 8:51:39 PM(UTC)
dubya

Groups: Member

Russ,

Thank you!

I hope to acquire all of the above next round. Is it safe to say that 'AC1' could be a future upgrade to the Buffalo in that regard?

Also, I know you had a long road to get where you are, from an educational standpoint, what background reference was your most useful / practical (looking for reading material, because I can be that boring).

John
Russ White  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 21, 2008 9:57:49 AM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Hi John,

Sure you can add in AC1 later if you like.

As far as books go, I highly recommend "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill. I use it a lot. :)

Otherwise I read lot and lots of datasheets. When I see a concept that is new to me, I google it.

That's pretty much my learning style.

Cheers!
Russ
Rss Feed  Atom Feed