Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
zkdaz  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2011 5:36:45 AM(UTC)
zkdaz

Groups: Member

Hi Russ, Brian & All

I have ordered a pair of sympaticos to drive some Lowther DX4s in an open baffle setup. Since open baffles have an intrinsic bass roll off, I plan on heavily boosting the bass with equalization. Which really means cutting the higher frequencies down and turning the volume up.

All my calculations, based on digital headroom of 16bit files in to 24bit processing, max SPL from efficiency and max power ratings and Sigfried Linkwitz baffle dimension equations, come out at between 3 and 3.5 octaves of bass boost at 6db per octave. Or about 20db up at 20Hz which equates to a factor of 100 times the electrical power required of the amp.

All this means that I would be pushing the amps and drivers close to their 100w power ratings to get normal to loud SPLs at the listening position.

Would I gain anything by increasing the supply caps on the sympatico?

I am thinking of simply doubling C13 & C14 by soldering additional identical caps to the other side of the board. Also would there be benefit in continuing this idea to C7 & C8 and C3 & C4? Or should I just leave it all alone and trust it can handle 100w of really tight bass as is?

What are your thoughts on this idea?

Thanks

Dan
Russ White  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2011 5:38:06 AM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
It definitely wouldn't hurt. But I doubt you will really need to.
zkdaz  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2011 7:39:59 AM(UTC)
zkdaz

Thanks Russ

I'll build it standard and see how close I really am to the limits before I poke about with a scope to see if it's worth mod'ing anything. I do have a tendency for overkill.

Cheers

Dan
jrhill  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 8, 2012 9:55:14 PM(UTC)
jrhill

I would like to know if the Sympatico, with unbalanced input and standard build, would be capable of driving my 96dB/W 15" bass driver in the B2 alignment (closed box) and requires the Link/Tranform eq at 32Hz (+12dB) with lo-pass Xover filter set at 120Hz (12dB again) - normal power requirements are just a few watts, maybe max 15 - it's to mate up with 97dB/W full range driver with classA amp (FirstWattF5) - am looking for clean, controlled, effortless bass, not just "ordinary hifi" bass.

Have tried some switchmode amps but none are quite right and want to avoid using a noisy fan cooled studio amp.

Also, would a previously mentioned 300VA 25volt sec (24-0-25) be suitable for this and/or addition of perhaps a Cmultiplier to reduce the rails be required?

... James
Rss Feed  Atom Feed