Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
woresso  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 25, 2012 9:37:22 PM(UTC)
woresso

Groups: Member

I had recently built a Buffalo III and Legato 3.1 I/V stage as my first standalone DAC. The Legato's SE output is now connected to a Rotel RSX-1067 receiver with B&W 683 speakers. Before the Buffalo, my M2Tech HiFace Evo's SPDIF coax output is connected directly to the receiver, making use of the built-in AK4396 DAC function. Now, I connect the Hiface's I2S interface to the buffalo.

After a few listening tests, I get the impression that the Buffalo & Legato combination reproduces a sound that is not as open (brighter ambient?) as my receiver only setup. I was quite perplex by this discovery, is it possible that I may have messed up on some key configuration parameters? As I said, this is my first external DAC, so I had little to no prior experience to compare against.

I have attached an image that shows my Buffalo&Legato and its connectivity to the receiver, please point out if I've made some obvious newbie mistakes. Thanks!

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Russ White  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 26, 2012 8:40:07 AM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Your very likely actually running our signal through an additional ADC and then the receivers DAC then an amp. You would be better to go directly to a power amp. :)
Russ White  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 26, 2012 8:45:55 AM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Also you will want to be sure the jumpers on the bottom of the BIII are set correctly.
woresso  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2012 8:11:54 PM(UTC)
woresso

Groups: Member

I've configured my receiver to bypass all signal processing, and then adjusted the bipolar power supply negative voltage rail from -15 to -13V per the Legato tweak thread on diyaudio. The sound is great, especially when I turned up the volume.

Thanks for making these great audio gear!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed