Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
AudioBear  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 23, 2008 11:59:22 PM(UTC)
AudioBear

Groups: Member

I'm looking at taking a TOSLINK signal from an AirPort Express into a Buffalo when they are available.

1. OK so I need a The S/PDIF Receiver Module and a TOSLINK Optical Input Module. How do I power these, I'm presuming an LCDPS and I'm also presuming I can power both of one LCDPS? What are the voltages for these modules.

2. As the output from the AirPort Express is supposed to be quite jittery, will the S/PDIF be enough or would some extra clocking help here?

Many thanks in advance,

Russ

Brian Donegan  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 24, 2008 4:28:59 AM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
You can actually feed the S/PDIF directly to the Buffalo, which will need a power supply (such as LCDPS) at 6V for Vd and 6.6V Va. You could pwer both Va and Vd with 6.6V and use the second supply (12V?) for the AirPort. The Buffalo's ASRC is all you need for jitter reduction.
AudioBear  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 25, 2008 1:12:33 AM(UTC)
AudioBear

Thanks Brian for the information, I think I have it clear in my head but just to clarify a bit.

1. Are you saying, putting one of your S/PDIF Receiver Modules between one of your TOSLINK receivers and a Buffalo is not going to improve the jitter reduction? And that it is better direct with a direct TOSLINK / S/PDIF into the Buffalo?

2. Or are you saying crack open the Airport Express and take the S/PDIF straight off the board (if it is possible) direct into the Buffalo. I may do this in the future,(if possible and preferred), although I guess for an initial go I was going use the TOSLINK out of the AirPort into one of your TOSLINK modules connected to a DAC in some way.

3. Which brings me to me last question, if I go the TOSLINK route, does you TOSLINK module require power if so what would be suitable.

Sorry if I've missed the point here.

Russ
Brian Donegan  
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 25, 2008 7:01:31 AM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
1. The jitter reduction is the Buffalo is very very good, so I don;t think there would any difference in jitter performance.

2. No. TOSLINK is optical S/PDIF. I was just not very specific. TOSLINK out of the AirPort should be fine.

3. The TOSLINK has an on-board 3.3V regulator, so you can power it with the same supply as the Buffalo.
AudioBear  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 26, 2008 1:13:05 AM(UTC)
AudioBear

Many thanks Brian, all is now clear.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed