Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bunpei Matoba  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 3, 2010 8:24:11 PM(UTC)
Bunpei Matoba

Groups: Member

May I ask a DPLL bandwidth setting of ES9018 on B II? I think no description is available on Buffalo II User Manual 1.0.
(I think the column name "DPLL Bandwidth" of the "Table 1a" in the manual is incorrect.)

Edited by user Friday, December 3, 2010 8:25:13 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Russ White  
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 4, 2010 10:02:35 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
The DPLL setting is the lowest for the least jitter.

Yes, the manual column header is just mislabeled. We will correct that. Really that column just denotes the stereo/mono mode.

Bunpei Matoba  
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 5, 2010 6:54:07 AM(UTC)
Bunpei Matoba

I never thought "the lowest". I had just guessed "the best default" without any grounds. Thank you very much for the answer.
Bunpei Matoba  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 19, 2011 11:47:21 AM(UTC)
Bunpei Matoba

I guess there are at least two MCU program versions on Buffalo II regarding to DPLL bandwith setting.
One is "the lowest" and another is "the best default".
My friend got one Buffalo II last November and its setting is "the best default". Another friend got one Buffalo II this month and his setting might be "the lowest".(I have not verified it yet)
Is my guess wrong?
Bunpei Matoba  
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 27, 2011 2:59:41 AM(UTC)
Bunpei Matoba

A few Buffalo II (100MHz version) users in Japan complained that they had occasional unlock problems on I2S input.
I'm afraid this is due to DPLL Bandwidth Parameter value "Medium" on the new version of MCU firmware.
Is it possible to get MCU firmware of DPLL Bandwidth Parameter value "Use the best DPLL Bandwidth Setting"?
Nary  
#6 Posted : Sunday, March 27, 2011 12:02:20 PM(UTC)
Nary

Hi,
I have problem the 'unlock problem' what Bunpei san say with XMOS USB2.0 Audio Reference Board.
I want to get the firmware, too.
Russ White  
#7 Posted : Friday, June 3, 2011 5:08:55 AM(UTC)
Russ White

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Hi folks,

Someone just brought this thread to my attention. Somehow it got lost in the shuffle with the modules redesigns and new job etc.

The problem described may well happen to certain folks, but it definitely does not happen to everyone. My XMOS board works just fine into the current firmware with no dropouts. As far as I have seen only sources with somewhat inferior I2S integrity need the DPLL BW to be adjusted higher. I also know of several other people using the XMOS demo board with no issues at low bandwidth. Remember this is DIY and for the most part the sources I listen to are my own. :) I want the best possible jitter rejection so I like to run the DPLL that way.

Brian and I will make "high bandwidth" version of the firmware with less jitter rejection (simply using the defaults) for people who have sources that require it. This way everyone can be happy. :)

External I2C control is also a very good option for some folks. We never expected that in all projects using Buffalo II that the on-board firmware would be perfect for all applications, but we can definitely make a version of it that will work with the lowest common denominator regarding sources. It's a quality vs practical nature trade off.

This is one reason why Buf III has been designed to be much more flexible in this regard. Solutions to discussions like this will be as simple as flipping a dip switch or two. :) Buffalo III give you all much finer grain control over the chip registers with just the on-board controller. You can adjust the DPLL etc to be optimal for your particular source.

Cheers!
Russ

Edited by user Friday, June 3, 2011 6:25:41 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Brian Donegan  
#8 Posted : Friday, June 3, 2011 8:12:38 AM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
A link for the optional firmware is now on the Volumite page. (http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/control/volumite.aspx)

Edited by user Wednesday, May 30, 2012 12:34:29 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ccliu  
#9 Posted : Friday, June 3, 2011 9:46:36 AM(UTC)
ccliu

Hi Brian,

I have two 80MHz version of Buffalo II. Can I use the "High Bandwidth" firmware to solve the lock issue? Do I need to purchase two? Thanks!
Brian Donegan  
#10 Posted : Friday, June 3, 2011 10:21:07 AM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
ccliu wrote:
Hi Brian,

I have two 80MHz version of Buffalo II. Can I use the "High Bandwidth" firmware to solve the lock issue? Do I need to purchase two? Thanks!

The firmware is the same, regardless of the XO frequency, so if your problem is indeed related to the DPLL bandwidth, it should work. You would need one uC chip for each DAC, unless you are using the Volumite and dual-mono, in which case you only have one uC.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed