Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
SCompRacer  
#21 Posted : Sunday, June 30, 2013 10:15:39 PM(UTC)
SCompRacer

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 21 post(s)
This is what I was thinking of doing with an OTTO II. In my previous testing, since Right DSD connected just to D2 of right channel DAC did not play anything, I'd just connect Right DSD just to D1.

Any issues that you can see here on this crude Paint drawing? Of course I'd do equal length wires to each DAC board. Grounds not pictured for simplicity but would be connected.

Thanks Russ.

Edited by user Sunday, June 30, 2013 10:24:12 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

SCompRacer attached the following image(s):
otto_dsd_switch.jpg (90kb) downloaded 90 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Russ White  
#22 Posted : Monday, July 1, 2013 1:10:17 AM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
This is how you should wire it.

BCK will be direct to the DACs.

Edited by user Monday, July 1, 2013 1:12:29 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Russ White attached the following image(s):
otto_layout.jpg (106kb) downloaded 194 time(s).

thanks 1 user thanked Russ White for this useful post.
SCompRacer on 7/1/2013(UTC)
SCompRacer  
#23 Posted : Monday, July 1, 2013 4:26:06 PM(UTC)
SCompRacer

Thanks Russ! I'll order another OTTO II and wire it up as pictured.
FJC  
#24 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 6:45:36 PM(UTC)
FJC

Spain

Originally Posted by: Russ White Go to Quoted Post
This is how you should wire it.

BCK will be direct to the DACs.

Sorry Russ but I can´t figure up how your schem works... It solves the problem with the DSD but I can´t see the PCM option. I´d propose D1 on 1A and 2A and D2 on 3A and 4A. Then DSD option would be 1B1 to D1 DAC L, 2B1 to D2 DAC L, 3B1 to D1 DAC R and 4B1 to D2 DAC R. PCM option would be 1B2 to D1 DAC L, 2B2 to D1 DAC R, 3B2 to D2 DAC L and D2 to D2 DAC R.

Regards,
Francisco
Russ White  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 6:55:25 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Its pretty simple. Connect D1 and D2 from PCM on the B1 side, and they are routed as normal to the two DACs.

I could have simply drawn as 1B1 being connected to 3B1 and 2B1 being connected to 4B1. :) That is how I actually wired it.

It works just as shown perfectly. I have tested it.
Russ White  
#26 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 6:56:39 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Keep in mind the "A" side is the output. :)
Russ White  
#27 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 7:09:59 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Also one way I could have drawn it was with 1B1 connected to 1B2 and 2B1 connected to 3B2. :) Depending on the source of course. :)

But not all sources have LRCK multiplexed with DSDL and PCM Data with DSDR :) So I just did not draw it that way. :)

Edited by user Tuesday, August 27, 2013 7:11:39 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

FJC  
#28 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 10:59:13 PM(UTC)
FJC

Spain

Ah, I got it, no indication on B1 has confused me. It´s similar to my solution, but you use "A" port as output. In my proposal I take "A" as input and then I get two different outputs (DSD or PCM). Could I use it in this way? I mean, is the OTTO bidirectional (used either as mux/demux)?
Russ White  
#29 Posted : Wednesday, August 28, 2013 12:49:32 AM(UTC)
Russ White

Routing will be much better my way.
FJC  
#30 Posted : Wednesday, August 28, 2013 7:34:02 PM(UTC)
FJC

Spain

Definitively your way is better. It minimizes the cabling and keeps it shorter.
FJC  
#31 Posted : Wednesday, August 28, 2013 8:17:18 PM(UTC)
FJC

Spain

Russ, I plan use an USB input (Amanero) and a S/PDIF 4:1 MUX for others PCM inputs. I think I´ll use two OTTOs to do the work (one OTTO to switch between MUX 4:1 and the USB input, and other to switch between PCM/DSD when signal came from the Amanero). What´s the way you would do it?

Really I´m concerned about the fact the signal go through two mux and, in the case of the switch between PCM/DSD, only D1 and D2 go through the mux (BCK will be direct to the DACs). I´m afraid at the end all this routing could be in detriment of sound quality.
SCompRacer  
#32 Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2013 3:52:41 AM(UTC)
SCompRacer

I had let this dual mono DSD remapping go for the summer and just revisited it. I have a Sidecar and 4 channel input board. The Sidecar chooses between USB and my modded Denon CD/SACD player. I don't think Russ's fix will work with my configuration without me giving something up or making radical changes. I may be wrong but regardless came up with this today.

Use two Omron G6K-2P 5 volt relays. The relays are not powered in the diagram. To play DSD we power both relays. On the right DAC we need to open D1 circuit; with the relay applied, 6-7 opens and 3-4 closes feeding Right DSD D2 to D1 on DAC board. On the left DAC we need to open D2 and feed left DSD 1 to D2 (6-7 opens, 3-4 closes). PCM should be fine with relays not powered.

What do you think Russ? Keep my other job...lol

Edited by user Thursday, August 29, 2013 4:14:00 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

SCompRacer attached the following image(s):
dualmonodsd_2.JPG (34kb) downloaded 69 time(s).

Russ White  
#33 Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2013 12:58:32 PM(UTC)
Russ White

I didn't look closely (because I have already shown how to do it) - but OTTO-II would be better for many reasons. Not the least of which is no need to drive relays. In any case if you mimic what I have already shown using relays there is no reason it won't work. :) You will just need to transistors and diodes to properly drive the relays.
arf  
#34 Posted : Saturday, October 12, 2013 7:18:13 AM(UTC)
arf

Australia

Hi Russ, I am presuming your OTTO-II is connected direct to L-R DAC's. This solution is imposible to be implemented in case where DAC's are connected to SIDECARD?!
Also since Brian is not responding to my and Amaro question in another post ( BIII Dual Mono & Hifiduino controller), could you please explain why is suggested in DUAL Mono confg to solder jumper on R7 only on R DAC thus disabling port expander? What is Port Expander used for?
regards
Danny
Russ White  
#35 Posted : Saturday, October 12, 2013 6:48:04 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Hi Danny,

I have never tried it with sidecar - but I do think it could be made to work. you would want the OTTO-II after the sidecar in this case.

The port expander is used to get the state of the switches for configuration. Only one can be active at a time or they would conflict. You install R7 so as to make one of the port expanders idle. This simply changes it's I2C address so it does not respond.

Cheers!
Russ

Russ White  
#36 Posted : Saturday, October 12, 2013 8:12:07 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Actually now that I think about it may be better to actually do it before the sidecar... I will need to ruminate on this a bit. :)
arf  
#37 Posted : Tuesday, October 15, 2013 6:25:54 AM(UTC)
arf

Australia

Yeah me to....... so far I don't think OTTO-II can be used at all...... maybe two of it after sidecard (one for each BIII). What about D4? It is connected to D2 on the sidecard!

On Port Expander : if R7 is not installed on both cards (expanders are monitoring switches) and I am using ARDUINO to control registers, do you know if on board switches can override register settings or not?
cheers
Danny
Russ White  
#38 Posted : Wednesday, October 16, 2013 3:34:49 AM(UTC)
Russ White

There can only be one controller Danny :)

BTW sidecar can definitely be used with OTTO-II you just need to think it through.
arf  
#39 Posted : Thursday, October 17, 2013 7:51:33 AM(UTC)
arf

Australia

I know that there can be only one "master blaster" to control I2C bus, however as Brian already explained in another post if my ARDUINO code ignore both BIII port expanders I don't need to worry about it. Best bet would be to unsolder L5 on both cards thus disabling expanders altogether.

Re-OTTO-II
I think I've got it: OTTO-II should work (didn't try it yet-have two relays combo instead, and OTTO-II for switching I2S between AMANERO and DENON) in position after sidecard on Left<>Right part of the flat cable where Left side need D2 and D6 signal wire to be cut and D2 from sidecard connected to 1B1 and another end (from BIII) to be connected to 1A. For D1 just strip part of insulation (continuos connection from sidecard to L_BIII) and connect this to 1B2. Similar D6 from sidecard connect to 2B1 and BIII side of wire to 2B2 and so on......boy it looks ugly. Right part of the cable is opposite to this and D1/D5 have to be cut while leaving D2/D6 continuos and just strip part of insulation.

Russ, any chance TP come up with "DUAL MONO sidecard" incorporating this in it?
cheers
Danny

scrap this. I just remember D4 have to be switched (only on Left channel) as well and this rule out OTTO-II as possible solution.....one need 3x double relays (same as on sidecard) so this brings sidecard with heavy modification the best candidate!

Edited by user Friday, October 18, 2013 4:22:12 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

arf  
#40 Posted : Tuesday, October 22, 2013 11:21:21 PM(UTC)
arf

Australia

Final solution for DSD DUAL MONO configuration is to switch D4(disconnect from D2) for the Left BIII to D1! Despite all attempts to remap internally D4 in DSD mod it was still active (D4 is connected to D2 on SIDECARD bus).

Russ, would you know if D4 is internally connected to D2 like D3 is to D1 (this was revealed long time ago by Dustin in DIY forum[post#153]: "DSD3 gets tied to DSD1 inside the chip").

My Dual Mono BIII with Amanero USB and two IVY I/V linestage (I have opt for two instead to share one because common DC on XLR is 0v and it was safe to connect to KRELL AMP/no caps ) now playing DSD/PCM without any problems. It was worth to spend double time/money for this system considering that SQ is elevated to the level where nothing currently on the market can't come even close to it.
Hope my finding would help most of you still struggling with your DUAL MONO projects.
cheers
Danny
arf attached the following image(s):
DUAL MONO DSD MOD.jpg (94kb) downloaded 43 time(s).

Rss Feed  Atom Feed