Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
thegeek  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 3, 2007 4:18:51 PM(UTC)
thegeek

Groups: Member

Hi.

First of all I'd like to warn you that I'm a noob when it comes to electronics and as such some of the following questions may be a little (to very) noobish;P

I just recently finished building a kookaburra+myref revC, I've had no problems and as far as I can tell it's working perfectly.
So far I've only been able to test the amp with a pair of old and rather bad speakers from a philips stereo (cheap compact unit with 3cd changer++:P).

To remedy this I'm going to buy a pair of floorstanding speakers (probably 3-way), I've been looking at the new b&w 600-series (683 and 684, the 683 has fst midrange..) and Dali Ikon 6(danish speakers).
The b&w's are 8ohm, 90db spl (specs) and I'm wondering if the amp will be able to drive these or similar speakers?.
I realize the official specifications rarely present the full picture, and that speakers can be hard to drive due to impedance dips(hope that is the correct term:P), however just a general "is it worth it to try" would be nice:)

The amp I built uses a 300va 2x28V toroid (measured to 27Vac when connected to amp). The kookaburra uses the toroid you offer and lm4562 opamps.
Audio ground is completely seperated from power ground and ac ground. The only ground besides connections between kookaburra and the myrefs is chassis connected to ac ground. Hum is inaudible and the only noise is from the source (no noise when inputs shorted).
The amp does not get very warm, but I use pretty large heatsinks(info).

When I set out to build an amp I read up a bit all over and I kinda fell into the idea that the myref would drive even large speakers pretty well, however now that the amp is completed I've discovered that I have to turn the pot on the kookaburra to about 50-60% to get decent volume into the small speakers(6ohm, all the info I could find). This might be no problem at all, but it did make me wonder a bit if I may have acted a bit prematurely in choosing the amp:P

I've spoken to a local hifi-shop and I plan to bring the amp along to test against some speakers, but before I do so it would be really nice to know if I would be making a fool of myself if I did:P

Finally I'd really like to thank you guys for offering such a great service/products, it allows noobs such as myself a nice intro to the joys of diy:)

Edited by user Sunday, June 3, 2007 4:20:24 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ullus  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2007 1:46:07 PM(UTC)
ullus

Seems you are still shopping for speakers?
evenso I've not been able to listen to this setup, I like this design for purely optical reason: http://www.linkwitzlab.c...os/pluto-cfp-et-al_2.jpg
in its standard [active] setup, it is driven by the same chipamp as Rev_C although not as current pump as Rev_C.

Edited by user Wednesday, June 20, 2007 1:47:35 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thegeek  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 26, 2007 9:21:58 AM(UTC)
thegeek

I posted this same post at diyaudio, so for posterity:
http://www.diyaudio.com/...p?s=&threadid=103119
Rss Feed  Atom Feed