Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
steveleen  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2013 3:50:36 AM(UTC)
steveleen

Groups: Member

Are there any particular issues/problems I should be aware of when bringing the I2S signal out from a Squeezebox Touch and into my Buffalo III using two Teleporters? I want to make sure this is feasible before disassembling the Squeezebox unit. I know that some of you have done this successfully. One thing I am concerned about potential interference. I am in a 240v 50hz environment, urban setting, with lots of EMI and RFI.
My plan is:
1. I2S out from Squeezebox internal PCB test points (TP267-LRCK, TP268-BCK, TP269-Data) on thin individual wires to a Teleporter attached to the back of the Squeezebox.
2. Teleporter power and ground from appropriate points on the Squeezebox PCB.
3. No reclocking mods on Squeezebox.
4. Standard Cat 5 cable.
5. Receiving Teleporter within the BIII chassis very close to Sidecar inputs - so very short individual signal wires.
6. Sidecar switching. (Sidecar has the 1000K resistor)
7. Note: Sidecar connected to the Twisted Pear SPDIF 4 input board.
8. Sidecar I2S activated on external input switch 3.
9. SW2-5 set to ON for testing purposes. Later, pull Pin 14 on External I/O connector to GND when Sidecar relays are activated.
10. Check for voltage sags when Sidecar relays engage. Placid HD BP is powering the BIII, Tridents, SPDIF-4, Sidecar and the Teleporter.

I would be grateful to receive any comments on feasibility, potential snags, and even personal opinions as to whether it is really worth the effort in terms of sound quality improvement over standard SPDIF out from the Squeezebox, which is already awesome.

Thanks,
Steve

steveleen  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2013 1:55:17 AM(UTC)
steveleen

After thinking it through, for maximum quality out of the Squeezebox Touch, I believe it will be best to use the Squeezebox with the EDO software mod, to provide USB Class 2 output, and run that to the new-soon-to-be-released TP Asynchronous USB 2.0 input module, and thus avoid attempting to solder tiny wires to tiny test point pads that I cannot even see clearly!
SCompRacer  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2013 4:22:26 AM(UTC)
SCompRacer

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Sorry I missed this earlier. I did an I2S mod out of my Touch using a TP Teleporter to transmit to a Teleporter in my DAC. I did get some slight SQ gain over coax out. (The ESS Sabre does a pretty good job with S/PDIF).

Disassembly isn't too bad. The ribbon cables are kind of short so not much room to release/lock the cable connector latches. Small wire and a lighted magnifier were a must for me. I removed some plastic from the rear cover around the unused L channel analog out and brought the wires out from there. Since they were discontinued pricing got insane for the SB Touch!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Tuesday, March 26, 2013 4:26:22 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed