Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

4 Pages<1234>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
glt  
#21 Posted : Monday, November 29, 2010 7:11:13 PM(UTC)
glt

Groups: Member

My Ventus-1 kit is still in the box. What are the changes in Ventus-2 and can I apply them to Ventus-1? Thanks.
Russ White  
#22 Posted : Monday, November 29, 2010 8:43:52 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
How much gain do you want?
Russ White  
#23 Posted : Monday, November 29, 2010 8:44:39 PM(UTC)
Russ White

glt wrote:
My Ventus-1 kit is still in the box. What are the changes in Ventus-2 and can I apply them to Ventus-1? Thanks.

The changes are mainly around the layout. I would just build it as is. :)
Russ White  
#24 Posted : Monday, November 29, 2010 9:03:59 PM(UTC)
Russ White

For those of you not using balanced input here is my quick and dirty non-inverting single ended input Ventus setup guide:

- Connect IN- terminal to the GND Terminal with a short piece or wire or resistor clipping.
- Make R2 a low value (0R-221R should be fine).
- R4 will dominate the input impedance. I recommend using 47K-100K, but even leaving it open is fine.
- R5 is your feedback resistor. I would try to stay between 1K and 10K.
- R3 is your gain resistor. Leave it open for unity gain, other wise gain is 1+(R5/R3)

Some examples:

1.5 X gain R5=1K R3=2K

2.0 X gain R5=2K R3=2K

3.0 X gain R5=2K R3=1K

- CC2 and CC3 are optional, but I would leave them.

So when you wire from your source you will wire the signal to IN+ and the signal GND to GND. The Ventus output will be in-phase with the input.

Edited by user Tuesday, November 30, 2010 8:38:20 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

NicMac  
#25 Posted : Wednesday, December 1, 2010 2:36:03 AM(UTC)
NicMac

The version for sale at the moment is Ventus-1 right?
Any chance of getting Ventus-2 and Legato-2 for Xmas?
Thanks,
Nic
Brian Donegan  
#26 Posted : Wednesday, December 1, 2010 5:24:08 AM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
No, Ventus2 is the current version. I need to update the picture (waiting for new camera), but the schematic and layout have been updated.

I started assembling the final sub-assemblies last night for Legato2, so they should be shipping later this week or early next week.

Edited by user Wednesday, December 1, 2010 5:24:56 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

pelliott123  
#27 Posted : Wednesday, December 1, 2010 6:13:41 AM(UTC)
pelliott123

I am a bit confused about the Ventus. In other threads the Ventus can be used as a Bal to SE converter when hooked up to the non-buffered lagato. Since the ventus can be connected directly to the buffII can it be used as a Bal to SE converter to a regular preamp? am I missing something?
Brian Donegan  
#28 Posted : Wednesday, December 1, 2010 11:08:15 AM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
pelliott123 wrote:
I am a bit confused about the Ventus. In other threads the Ventus can be used as a Bal to SE converter when hooked up to the non-buffered lagato. Since the ventus can be connected directly to the buffII can it be used as a Bal to SE converter to a regular preamp? am I missing something?

Simply put, the Ventus is a buffer with balanced inputs and single-ended outputs. It can be used in many ways, but the most common will be these:

- It has enough current output to easily drive headphones, making it a great headphone amp.

- It can be used simply as a line-level discrete bal->se converter

It can be used directly connected to the output of the Buffalo (voltage mode) or Opus in either of these roles.
NicMac  
#29 Posted : Wednesday, December 1, 2010 2:08:31 PM(UTC)
NicMac

Brian Donegan wrote:
No, Ventus2 is the current version. I need to update the picture (waiting for new camera), but the schematic and layout have been updated.

I started assembling the final sub-assemblies last night for Legato2, so they should be shipping later this week or early next week.

OK - I placed an order for a couple of both :-)
To bad that I could add to the order a couple of MRB1's.
Nic
glt  
#30 Posted : Wednesday, December 1, 2010 3:28:27 PM(UTC)
glt

Russ White wrote:
glt wrote:

The changes are mainly around the layout. I would just build it as is. :)

I compared the schematics. There is no harm following the V2 schematics? Thanks.

Edited by user Wednesday, December 1, 2010 3:29:25 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Russ White  
#31 Posted : Wednesday, December 1, 2010 9:51:05 PM(UTC)
Russ White

No they are different. I think even the reference designators are different.

Use the schematic for the version you have.
glt  
#32 Posted : Thursday, December 2, 2010 12:51:15 AM(UTC)
glt

Russ White wrote:
No they are different. I think even the reference designators are different.

Use the schematic for the version you have.

I meant If I can build V2 on a V1 board by making the appropriate mods, is there any harm/benefit? By comparing the schematics, it seems fairly easy to make the mods
Russ White  
#33 Posted : Thursday, December 2, 2010 4:34:04 AM(UTC)
Russ White

You *could* but the biggest benefit of the new board is the layout change.

Edited by user Thursday, December 2, 2010 4:34:59 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

szabokristof  
#34 Posted : Thursday, December 2, 2010 6:16:21 AM(UTC)
szabokristof

Hi Russ!

Today I realized that you put on the site a schematics which shows the dual mono wiring of the Buffalo-II. In an early post you told me the easiest way to use balanced headphones is to connect the Buff to a IVY and use the balanced output directly to the headphone. In the BUFF schematics you draw 2 IVY to use the 2 balanced output of the BUFF. What is the better sounding setup if I connect only one output of the BUFF to the IVY and the one from the other BUFF and use the balanced output of the IVY to the headphone or connect all the 2 output from the 2 BUFFs to 2 IVYs and connect the 4 balanced output to 4 Ventus, and use the Ventus for balanced headphone.

In the second variation is a good solution if I install JTs between the IVYs and the Ventus?

Thanks
Kristóf
NicMac  
#35 Posted : Friday, December 3, 2010 3:08:22 AM(UTC)
NicMac

Hi Russ and Brian,
I'm planning my dual mono Buff II -> Legato2 (x2) -> Ventus2 (x4) -> bypassed Hypex build and I have a few questions:
What are the suggested rail voltages for each Ventus2 module and what current draw am I to expect? I will be running the Legato2 in dual
mono and I would like too have a gain of 5-6 in the Ventus stage as this is around about what I lost by bypassing the buffer stage on the Hypex modules.
Thaks,
Nic
Russ White  
#36 Posted : Friday, December 3, 2010 6:54:46 AM(UTC)
Russ White

szabokristof wrote:
Hi Russ!

Today I realized that you put on the site a schematics which shows the dual mono wiring of the Buffalo-II. In an early post you told me the easiest way to use balanced headphones is to connect the Buff to a IVY and use the balanced output directly to the headphone. In the BUFF schematics you draw 2 IVY to use the 2 balanced output of the BUFF. What is the better sounding setup if I connect only one output of the BUFF to the IVY and the one from the other BUFF and use the balanced output of the IVY to the headphone or connect all the 2 output from the 2 BUFFs to 2 IVYs and connect the 4 balanced output to 4 Ventus, and use the Ventus for balanced headphone.

In the second variation is a good solution if I install JTs between the IVYs and the Ventus?

Thanks
Kristóf

I don't recommend that you use the JTs in this case at all.

Use the volumite. It is much better in this scenario.

If you want to go dual mono with IVY and have very low impedance cans (less than 100ohms) here is what I would do.

Each channel would be Buff II(With Volumite) dual mono --> IVY-III dual mono setup--> 2 x Ventus configured for unity BAL/SE.

This will be a pretty complex setup.

You may want to try just going stereo first. Even just BufII+Volumite -> IVY-III.

Russ White  
#37 Posted : Friday, December 3, 2010 6:58:36 AM(UTC)
Russ White

NicMac wrote:
Hi Russ and Brian,
I'm planning my dual mono Buff II -> Legato2 (x2) -> Ventus2 (x4) -> bypassed Hypex build and I have a few questions:
What are the suggested rail voltages for each Ventus2 module and what current draw am I to expect? I will be running the Legato2 in dual
mono and I would like too have a gain of 5-6 in the Ventus stage as this is around about what I lost by bypassing the buffer stage on the Hypex modules.
Thaks,
Nic

Ventus current draw will depend on the load, but it is not very much. Something < 50ma (Don't have one in front of me to measure at the moment).

The Ventus should be powered with 15V rails.

You need to know the maximum voltage swing you expect out the Ventus at 0DBFS.

Are you sure you need that high gain? I can tell you that at 0DBFS you will more than drive the ventus into clipping at that gain with Legato set for the stock output level.
szabokristof  
#38 Posted : Friday, December 3, 2010 7:04:21 AM(UTC)
szabokristof

Russ White wrote:
szabokristof wrote:
Hi Russ!

Thanks
Kristóf

I don't recommend that you use the JTs in this case at all.

Use the volumite. It is much better in this scenario.

If you want to go dual mono with IVY and have very low impedance cans (less than 100ohms) here is what I would do.

Each channel would be Buff II(With Volumite) dual mono --> IVY-III dual mono setup--> 2 x Ventus configured for unity BAL/SE.

This will be a pretty complex setup.

You may want to try just going stereo first. Even just BufII+Volumite -> IVY-III.

Thank You Russ!

Just one more question: Do you think biasing the opamps to class a operation will increase the sound quality in the IVY like circuit and in the Ventus circuit? Should I bias the LME49600 or it makes it inside?

Many thanks again!
Kristóf

Edited by user Friday, December 3, 2010 7:07:23 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Russ White  
#39 Posted : Friday, December 3, 2010 7:40:18 AM(UTC)
Russ White

They are already biased into class A up to about 20ma.
NicMac  
#40 Posted : Friday, December 3, 2010 8:54:58 AM(UTC)
NicMac

Russ White wrote:
NicMac wrote:

Are you sure you need that high gain? I can tell you that at 0DBFS you will more than drive the ventus into clipping at that gain with Legato set for the stock output level.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure of anythingThink
Essentially, I want to use the Ventus as a DC-coupled discrete substitute for the op-amp buffer stage on the Hypex modules. I think the buffer stage on these modules comes with a preset gain of 4.66 but I certainly may be missing something. I have attached a one-page description of the Hypex modules gain structure if you should have a minute or two.
Anyway I guess I can start with stock values and change later if I really need to.
Thanks as always,
Nic
File Attachment(s):
Voltage Gain of the UcD Modules.pdf (77kb) downloaded 25 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed